Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!! Got stuck at McDonalds today...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Just got home a little before midnight... My wife, kid, and I were going through the McDonalds drive-thru to buy some dippin dots right before closing. After ordering, the Blazer sputtered then died while in line. My wife got behind the steering wheel while I pushed the K5 past the 1st and 2nd window to the waiting area. The guy still had the nerve to say "that will be $2.35" while I was pushing the truck past him! Anyways, I thought it was out of gas so my brother came down since I only lived 5 minutes away and we got 5 gal of fresh super from Chevron. I threw it all in the tank and started it up. The weird thing is that the thing tries to start when you hold the gas pedal down to the floor. I always thought you never needed to push the pedal for a fuel-injected engine. Well, it never starts all the way, just blows lots of black smoke and tries and tries.

I ended up calling my other brother who came down with his sweet '79 with 4" and 33's. The only cool thing about this whole incident was how nice it looked to see 2 nice looking K5's going through town with the emergency lights flashing at night!!

It's an '88 350, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fresh gas... I've had this for 2 years and never changed the fuel filter. Could someone let me know what it's like when you have a clogged or bad fuel filter??? Any tips on other things I can check for?? I think it's acting up since I have it in the Truck Trader!

Ed

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

it only tries to start when you hold the gas solid to the floor? sounds like maybe it was flooded out because if i recall correctly holding the pedal all the way down and cranking performs a "clear flood" state for the motor, try cranking it while holding the pedal all the way down, then let off the gas and see what happens?

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Fuel pump is dead!!! Try taking the air cleaner off and squirt wd40 down the throttle body while trying to start it. If it runs then the fuel pump is dead. My 88 truck has went through one in both tanks in the last year.

4. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Also try cheaking the fuel pump relay. It's on the fire wall next to the fuel pump fuse (passanger side). Check the fuse of corse. If fuse is good, using a 12 volt test light, with the key turned on, the grey colored wire should momentarily turn on the test light. You should also hear a slight buzzing sound coming from your gas tank. if you get no signal coming from the grey wire, your fuel pump relay is bad. you can try jumping the grey lead, to do this you must disconnect the fuel pump harness. find where the grey wire prong is on the plug part of the harness and put a 12 volt jumper wire to it. If you hear the fuel pump turn on, then your fuel pump is good.

Good luck!

Jeremy

5. Blazin Ed

Thanks guys! I'll try all this when I get off work today... BTW, how difficult is it to drop the fuel tank out of a Blazer? I heard it's not very fun!!

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

It's easy if the tanks is empty.

7. Blazin Ed

Does anyone have a picture of what the fuel pump relay looks like? Also, I found a fuel filter on the inside frame passenger side. Is there another one someplace else?

8. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

One fuel filter, thats the one. I don't have a picture but the relay is on the passenger side firewall near the top.

9. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

There is a fuel pump strainer in the tank along with the fuel pump, it's kind of like a sock that stops the pump from sucking anything solid into the system. Other than that you found the only other filter in the system. As for the Fuel Pump Relay, it is located on the firewall on the passanger side with the harness plugging strait up into it. it is somewhat oval with about 5 wires going into it. The color of the wires are orange, red, grey and green. The red wire coming out of the harness is a test lead, and should lead to a dead connection that is un-used. Hope I've painted the picture for you.

Jeremy

10. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

Smack the tank with a BFH (Big Freakin Hammer) while some turns on the key if it starts it's the fuel pump if not it's something else

11. Blazin Ed

I can hear the fuel pump for a second when I turn it on. I can smell fuel in the TB when I'm trying to crank it over. Someone suggested it might be some type of sensor... MAF?? It was also suggested the the O2 sensor is probably now fouled as well with all the blk smoke that's been coming out the exhaust. Has anyone had this same problem I'm experiencing?

Help! I'm stuck in the driveway...

12. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

you don't have a maf sensor. You have a MAP sensor- Manifold Absolute Presure. If this is bad unpluging the vaccum port on it will get ytou running, not the best though. This will not normally keep the truck from running. if you smell fuel then spark is the next check.
    Pull a plug wire and have a friend hold the end wile you crank the motor, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif if he/she jumps while you crank the motor, your spark is good.
    Seriously though, hold the wire next to the block to ground it out and try to spot a spark while cranking the motor over I'm willing to bet the coil has taken a dump on you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hope this helps.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifJeremy

13. Blazin Ed

Turned out to be a bad coolant temp sensor that goes to the computer. It was causing mass amounts of fuel to go down the intake everytime I tried to start it. A $15 part an now I'm on the road again... Thanks for all your help!

14. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

I wanted to see the friend jump /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Glad it was cheep to fix /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That really hurts getting shocked! Trust me.... And no, I wasn't dumb enough to hold the end of a spark plug I just wasn't smart enough to unkook the batt when I was working on the dist. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif