Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help have problem no one can figure out!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scorpio, Apr 1, 2002.

1. scorpio

scorpio Registered Member

the problem i am having is that it seem that at slow speed while i am turning the back tires seems to lock up them release with a cloncking noise. i dont know if my diff gear is going out or if the drive shaft is binding up or if its something else. i have a 4" lift and the rear drve shaft has been extended and i did drop the trans and transfer case by taking the spacer that was underneath the crossmemmber to in between the frame and crossmember. i don't know if this did it or what! if someone has any ideal what could be happening to my k5 please let me know thank you.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe a stuck wheel cylinder for the rear drums?

I doubt it but, Did you pull off the cover and check out the ring and pinion?

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Do you have some sort of Gov lock unit? If you do, maybe its getting quirky. They are known for it.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

My guess would be some kind of locker in the rear going bad..

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I'm with you on the gov-lock going out. When I destroyed mine, it would pop when I was going around corners. It never locked up, but it would pop something fierce. Usually it was just one loud pop per corner.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yes, be afraid of the gov-lok pop! My 10bolt use to pop any time I turned UNTILL...... You got it; that thing exploded and left me stranded for 3 days! I would personally recommend that you open up the rear end and check it out. I replaced my 12 bolt gov-lok in favor of an open differential waiting for a quick-lok or lock right.