Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help: Header doesn't clear driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Nov 18, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Just finished installing my Summit full-length headers - the right side does not clear the front driveshaft!!!!

Where the four pipes come together is just a hair above and to the left of the driveshaft, and it would certainly touch if I engaged 4WD. I have a 1983 Jimmy with stock suspension.

Here's my question: if I lifted the front suspension by, say, 2 inches, would this necessarily mean the distance between header and driveshaft would increase 2 inches?

Another question: looking at my front springs they have a negative arch to them - is this normal or maybe mine have sagged so low that's why I can't clear the driveshaft?

Here's two pics

From below:
    [​IMG]

From behind towards the engine:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  2. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

OK, new info. Summit says that there have been problems like the one I've got - they suggest heating the 4 pipes with a blowtorch and bending them away.

Any input on this?

Do I try bend them up by the engine or down where the pipes join into one?

Do I try bend them upwards or to the right of the driveshaft?

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is going to take two people to do this, but my suggestion is to have one person up top to heat up the header tubes where they bolt to the head while another person is under the truck using a pry-bar to bend them at the header collector. I would place the pry-bar between the drive shaft and the header collector, and bend it towards the spring shackle.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i had similar problems. a little bending will go along way.
    i took a ratchet strap and put it around the frame and header and pulled it tight against the frame. then i took a torch and heated up the tubes just above the frame under the hood. waited for them to cool and took the strap off, the header was perfect inbetween the driveshaft and the shackle.

5. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

OK, guys - thanks a million. Blowtorch operation begins after work...