Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP HELP HELP please. How do i remove the pinion shaft from a 12 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 2, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

After I removed the bolt that holds it in place, I am not sure how to get the darn thing out. Can I pound it out from the other side. Once I get that thing out I will be fine but I cant figure it out. Is there an easy way?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Re: HELP!!!! How do i remove the pinion shaft from a 12 bolt

Did you take the carrier out? If so beat the pinion where the nut was with a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet and it will come out.

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i cant take the carrier out until i remove the pinion shaft and the axles. the carrier is in the truck. does it go all the way through the carrier? can i hit it from the other side?

4. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

btt

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might try rotating the carrier and trying from the other side. The pinion shaft will sometimes score pretty badly, which apparently prevents them from coming out easily.

Ideally they should come out smoothly, but I've had a few that need a couple of taps with a hammer and big brass punch. Just push it through enough to get started though, if you push it too far through, it can get wedged up against the pinion, (locking the whole assembly in place) and if the pinion shaft doesn't move easily in the first place, you can't just reach in there and move it back.

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

How long was the bolt when you removed it?

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

He's trying to remove the carrier cross pin isn't he?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If that bolt isn't like 1.5 inches or so, threaded with a 3/4 inch smooth tip, it broke off in the carrier, it took me about 2 hrs of fiddling with small magnets and picks and whatever else i could find to stick to the remaining part, while slightly twisting and rocking the carrier back and forth to get that little pos outta there,
    it's fun,, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I guess that is what it is called. the manual called it a pinion shaft. it is the piece of steel that is keeping me from being able to move the axles inward in order to remove the c clips from them. basically it is pinned between the ends of the two axles.
    It wont come out. should I try to get the carrier hot and see if it is easier to get it loose?

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You should not have to heat the carrier to get it out. Are you sure got the whole bolt out?
    Are you able to move the axles in and out at all -- there should be a little bit of in-out play with the cross pin in.

11. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

the bolt is just long enough to put some pressure on the the shaft. if I hold it up on the outside of the carrier it is the exact length to touch the shaft. should it have been longer? the end looks to be sort of round like the shape of the shaft would be.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yes, there is a piece that actually goes into the shaft into a hole, there is still a piece broken off in there, this common, as far as removing it,,,,gonna have to get a bunch of different ideas.

So all you really have is the bolt head and treads, right?

13. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I have the head and threads and a part with no threads that is about a half an inch long or so.

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Now comes the fun part. LIke 4xcrazy said, the bolt should have a smooth part that goes through the cross shaft into the other side of the carrier. If it broke off past the threads, you should be able to get it with some small picks or magnets (like was mentioned). I once had to drill through the carrier on both sides of the shaft to get access to the pin to get it out. Good luck -- on the bright side the replacement bolt is only a couple bucks when you do get it out!

15. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

where will i find magnets that are that small do you think?

16. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the magnets, last one I did I used a small pick, a tiny screwdriver, and a little drill bit.

17. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

well i drilled a little hole and it looks like the shaft somehow rotated. the piece of the bolt on the other side of the shaft is loose as well. I assume it sheared. I should be able to pound the hell out of it until it comes out i guess. I drilled the hole pretty close to the shaft and there is no overhang into the housing. This is my typical luck.

18. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Well, indeed there was a piece of the bolt stuck. I got it all out (had to drill a little hole) but i still can't get the stupid shaft out. when only one wheel is jacked up and I spin the other wheel, it spins in the housing. So it will move and when I pound on it, it will move about 3mm either direction. What else could be holding this sucker in place?

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, indeed there was a piece of the bolt stuck. I got it all out (had to drill a little hole) but i still can't get the stupid shaft out. when only one wheel is jacked up and I spin the other wheel, it spins in the housing. So it will move and when I pound on it, it will move about 3mm either direction. What else could be holding this sucker in place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some times there will be a ledge from scoring, you will have to pound it but like mentionned before be carefull.
    Another thing you might encounter depending what gears you have, you might need to grind the corner of one tooth in the ring gear to clear the shaft once it's at the end.