Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help help help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by looloozu, Dec 12, 2006.

1. looloozu

looloozu Registered Member

Ok so this is still the same problem. I have a small block 350 chevy. and a few weeks back she started haven problems one day out for a drive. It started backfireing and kicking. Maybe it needed gas nope not it. got it home and tryed to start it a few days later. it started blowing out the carb and maken flames out the carb. so i checked the timing. timing mark lined up and the valves in #6 cyl were rocking at TDC on the compression stroke. so i think the cam and cranks are still timed. and the dude before me just put on a new timing gear and chain less then 20,000km. so ok. then i started thinking it was the carb sooo new carb off another working motor. nope same problem. then i got a new distrib (well off a running engine) thinking maybe the pickup was gone. nope same thing. tonight i went and readjusted all the valves and check the timing again usen the mark. dont have a timing light then again i can get the motor to run. so new carb new distrib timing seems ok. what next?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats pretty unusual... How are your wires, and your distributer cap looking? By switching distributers, did you change the whole thing out, or just the bottom half?

Are you sure you put the new dizzy in the right way?

Where abouts in Canada are you?

3. looloozu

looloozu Registered Member

to make sure the distrib was ok i replaced the whole unit top and bottum. im prity sure im in the right way. is there some other thing that could be wrong in the timing? something that even if the timing mark and cyl 6 rocking at TDC wouldnt show?

4. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

not sure where, by what you've checked, but it sure sounds like timing to me.
    or maybe a cylinder isn't firing.
    It reminds of an issue i had a while back but i found this inside. beleive it or not i drove it like this for 2 weeks. Everynight after work i would dig into until i finally dug deep enough to find this.

[​IMG]