Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help,help,help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cooker, Dec 28, 2001.

1. cooker

cooker Registered Member

help please i have lost power to my interior lights,radio,headlights,and truck wont start
    wipers ac and turn signals work and the truck
    turns over there is power at the starter and the fusible link is in tact at the starter but there ie no power at the bulk head connector on the engine side but there is power at the twin post connector on the fire wall ive got to believe there is a fusible link blown or a wire broken in between the bulk head connector and the starter can any one confirm this are there anymore fusible links in the harness around the trans bell housing trying to get answer before i go off and chase my tail for another couple hours in the freezing cold dam a tobacco barn doesnt make a nice warm work shop thanx peoples

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have some bad news for you. First, there are a couple of fusible links down at the starter itself. I would check those. But, that isn't the bad news. Don't just check the fusible links, check the endpoints of the wire (or as close to them as you can get) with a meter as well. Not too long ago I had a similar problem. My fusible link going to the two post deal on the firewall was good, but I still wasn't getting power. However, the terminals were showing power. Turned out that the wire had broken inside the insulation. When I found a wire that had a good fusible link that showed hot on one end and dead on the other, I knew I had found my culprit. Tugged on the wire some and the insulation finally snapped revealing the break in the wire. Spliced it up and I was good to go again.

So, I would follow the power wires from the starter to the fuse block and other various locations. Use a meter and keep checking until you find one that is not conducting. Then check for a fusible link along the wire. Finally, check it for breaks, burn throughs, cuts, etc.

I know this doesn't help too much, but at least it may get you started.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

tx85gmcguy nailed it... happens to the best of us. Good luck with your repairs... its a pain in the @$$ to hunt down the exact place where the wires fail. Not to mention, now its cold, and the wires aren't going to cooperate very easily. [​IMG] Good luck!!!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

4. cooker

cooker Registered Member

THANX GUYS FOUND THE PROBLEM LOST CONTACT IN THE LINK COMING FROM THE ALT ALL IS GOOD HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Glad to see you found it. I know I just about panicked when I lost power to 2/3rds of my fuse panel, but all my fusible links were good. Didn't really know where to start. Once I got started with the meter and found the bad wire, I was quite relieved.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!