Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Hood pops open -- in front, not back!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Dec 6, 2002.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Okay I just bought myself a 77 Blazer... first I've owned. What is driving me crazy is that I can't figure out why the hood latch doesn't stay closed. Here's what happens:

1. In my driveway, slam hood shut. Hood is good and closed. Jump on it yank it, pry it, shake it, bounce it -- it's definitely closed. (Except for the minor GM hood pop in back, of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

2. Get in and start driving. Somewhere between 100-1000 yards, *POP*! It's like I pulled the hood release, and the hood is only held shut by the safety catch now.

Any ideas????

I've lubed up the mechanism a bit and it seems fine: when I stick a screwdriver in it latches and stays latched no problem.

Help!

--
    Kevin

77 blazer with 94 hallmark camper, 95 350

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds like something is not lining up correctly...either try adjust how the hood mounts to the hinge or adjust the catch plate on the front of the hood. Hope this helps.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's an adjustment issue on the plate and the pin depth.
    The problem is that the lock isn't going all the way on the pin, just holding at the edge, so a little flexing from driving it makes it pop, but trying to pry it open in your drive way will not.
    Try first lowering the pin a couple of threads and see if it cures your problem.
    It should also make it easier to close it without slaming it too hard.

4. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Thanks IceMan, that did the trick!