Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, Hornet problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CK5, Apr 23, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Fawking hornets are starting to move in again, how can I keep them away for good? I have seen bee traps and such but no wasp/hornet stuff.

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hair spray and a lighter works good./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Also good for removing any of those annoying little hairs on your fingers./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Try any of that industrial bee/wasp killer? Works wonders on them. The ones with the big ass aerosol cans. My dad had a few and we've killed a large number of bees/wasps/etc with them. Not sure how many you are trying to get rid of though......

Call the exterminators?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Try a very large fly swatter, and run.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got a hornet/yellowjacket trap - picked it up at True Value for $8.99 It's a Victor "wasp, hornet and flying insect trap". You just put in grenadine, lemonade or something else fruity/sweet and they crawl right in.

5. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I have 4 that I put out every year that I ordered from some mag and just mix some sugar into boiling water, let cool a bit then add it to the bee catcher and mix a little dish soap into it. The sugar water attracts them and they get the soap on their wings and can't get out of the water. Works great! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just took care of a small nest the other night with some rubberized spray undercoating... Our problem is Wasps though, friggin massive ones...

7. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

you dont have to buy one of those fly traps, you can just leave a little bit of pop in a 2 liter bottle, cut off the top 'funnel' part and turn it upside down inside the other part.

It takes a while for all the bee's to realize that there's sugary goodness at the bottom of the round thing, and I think it might help if you let one or 2 go tell the other bees before starting to trap them.

8. CK5

I have seen these, but they all say it only works on bees not wasps, is that right?

9. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

hmmmm yeah i guess thats probably right. wasps might not be as attracted to the sugary goodness.

I've used that wasp/yellow jacket spray at work before, and the wasps were droppin like flys.

the cool thing about this spray i was usin was that it could shoot a good 20 feet, so you dodnt have to be close to the wasp nest when you spray it. I would suggest finding where the nest is and then getting some of that spray. All i remember is that it was in a yellow can.

10. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

if I'm ever in your neiborhood I'll bring my Doberman over she catches and squashes them him her mouth then spits them out/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif went out there one day and there must of been 20 dead one's lying all over the patio! damndest thing I've ever seen. she's been doing this now for about 10 years now and has gotten realy quite good at it/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Here you go..I was a manager for a pest control company for 5 years..This is the company we bought everything from...<a target="_blank" href=http://www.woodstreampro.com/victor.htm>http://www.woodstreampro.com/victor.htm</a>

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When I was in high school me and my buddys would drive down old logging roads untill we found a hornets nest in a tree. Then we would unload on them with a shotgun and mash the throttel and hope like hell you didn't have car trouble cause them things would chase you down. LOL the good old day's

13. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Don't know how to keep them from coming back but 409 works great. It has tri sodium phosphate thats kills them pretty quick and you can shoot it from a good distance.

14. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Brake cleaner, a couple full cans with the plastic tips for distance and accuracy and the will drop out of the air.
    Don't use the lighter.

15. CK5

Got me one of those fancy traps, I will check tomorrow to see if I have any of those suckers.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Are they yellow jackets or mud wasps, if they are yellow jackets the only real way to get them is to wait til about midnight and push a hose down there hole ( if they have a ground nest and run like hell then turn that sucker on full blast and it will ruin the nest and the queen will die off and the rest will leave. One thing I make sure to do is over the winter months you will run across queens that are hybernating. KIll them or they will start a nest next year, I've killed about 7 this winter and am axious to see if it makes a difference...

17. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Mine takes a couple of days to get them attracted in any number, but once they start, you'll be emptying it every day/forums/images/icons/smile.gif - When we were kids, me and my buddies would chase them down with badminton rackets and see how many we could catch in one swing - the record still stands at 14 I think/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The problem is there could be well over 5000 wasps/ hornets in any givin nest and those traps wont get rid of all of them, I had a trap last year and it works but I don't think I got even 10 % of them...Because I went over there at night and stuck my head in the hole and it was stuffed full of em' ,man it hurts the next day after youve been stung a couple a' times hehehehe...

19. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Last time I played around a wasp nest thinger was over 5 years ago... Got em pissed off somehow and had em all over me... Must've been stung at least 6 times... got all poofy, couldn't open my eye... I pulled a stinger out of my arm about 6 weeks later... Now I'm traumatized... I'd love to spray a bunch to death, but I don't think I could get the balls to get anywhere near the things voluntarily /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMAO... I hear ya