Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! How do you remove the windshield?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, May 13, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

How to you take the front windshield of an 84' K-5? THank you! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I did this on a late model Camaro once. I was at the JY and they sold some wire that used for removing windshields. Its like a very small saw that you use to get it out.

3. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

A thermo-nuclear device should take that sucker out.

4. BigBurban350

Well, do you think smashing it out would work since its saftey glass?

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

pretty much lay in the vehicle with a blanket over you and kick it with your feet, it will either come all the way out, or will break, but either way its comin out

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

what confed said. My cousin works for a auto glass company and this was how he removed the windshield from our old truck to be replaced (the company doesn't encourage it but it saved him 30 minutes with the wire saw). Don't forget to put a pad down on the hood.

7. win717

win717 Registered Member

A friend of mine used to installed windows on the side,he would buy piano wire then you take a screw driver and push down on the rubber seal and slide the wire threw,then tie a piece of wood(like a jump rope handle) on each end and get a buddy to get inside the truck and you on the outside and saw it around the seal /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Goodness! This is the easiest windshield ever. First, make sure the interlock is removed from the front of the gasket. The push from the inside on a top corner. Will most likely pop out. Slowly work your way across the top and the whole thing will become very loose. (make sure to un-do the antenna if you've got it) Then remove. If it's stubborn, then get inside with your feet and get busy (as stated above). Getting them out is my favorite part! Let me, let me... Doug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BigBurban350

I am basically dismantling the K-5 because the body is trash. I got all fenders off, the hood, the bed, and the doors are all gone. Now the window doesnt have to be saved so ill try the kick method /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sounds like fun!

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kick method? Heck, go for a good ole fashioned sledgehammer!! Take a video camera when you do this and post it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. BigBurban350

Doh, I woulda bought a camera(I wish I had a digi) before I did it this morning. I broke the seal around the top with a screw driver then kicked it from the inside. Well after removing the windshield, about a half hour later I was getting some tools from the box and OUCH! Something bit my index toe, its was a shard of glass stuck in my toe! Tip: Dont wear holie shoes or youll die from glass in your heart. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif