Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP how to adjust TV cable and mount hood pins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Apr 1, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

I just put on a trick flow TBI spacer on my 87 truck and am having problems getting the TV cable adjusted right. any suggestions. also i purchased some mr. gasket hood pins so i dont have to deal with my finicky hood latch anymore and was wondering if anyone had some good installation tips or ideas. thanks.
    camo krawler

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i was told by gm mech that full throttle no slack in cable. so motor off hold full throttle and pop the latch and adjust it to no slack. or if any just a tiny bit of slack.

fix it correctly or quick death of a 700 r4 will falow.

3. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you do any wheeling/flexing skip the hood pins. I have to replace my core support because I ran them for a little while and the core support cracked all around the pins.--Eric

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I understand how to adjust for the factory setting but years ago i owned a 1987 350 IROC and when i bought it the trans shifted rather sluggish.My buddy (GM mechanic) told me about adjusting the TV cable.I did this and then moved the slider (i can't remember which direction now)and the trans shifted vey hard and firm:D .I drove the car a long time with no prolems.So FINALLY my question.CAn i manually adjust the TV cable on my 89 K5 to shift a little harder without damage to the trans?I know that a sloppy shift after adjustment is bad but what about a harder shift adjustment?

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In that article it states that you don't adjust a cable, you 'set' it to the only setting that is correct. Adjusting will just eat your trans as far as I know. Read through all that article if you get time, it's very interesting.

8. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

All the way out at wide open throttle,about an eighth or quater inch at idle

9. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Keep doin the research and make sure the geometry is right.I think I had read somewhere that if you adjust by the way GM tells you then it will not be enough pressure.It's been a good while since I fooled with mine.Good Luck!:D