Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help - Hub Lock washer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 10, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had hell finding just the lock washer to go between the first axle nut and the locknut....bought new nuts and washer for it as a 10 bolt - D44 kit about 6 months ago....got the outside lock nut off and now the washer won't come of for anything. Its one of the ones with holes in it on a 10 bolt front. Tried pliers and needle screwdriver pics. Any advice / tricks? Got a wheel bearing that needs attention ASAP its clicking!

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Make sure it hasn't slipped out of the keyway, if it has twisted at all then you need to straighten it back into the keyway and it should pull right out, it helps if you push the hub inward while you try to get the washer straight in there. Good luck

3. BowtieBlazer

Didn't look like it was bent much if at all...must be though....now that I think about it three of four sides move...the side (round washer of course...doesn't have sides but make in squarwe in your head) that doesnt move is the keyway. Its like it found a new grove there. It appears to be lined up but aint budgin!

4. BowtieBlazer

just spent another 10 minutes playing with it again with no luck. The keyed part still seems to be stuck...its 10pm here and I have to be up for work at 6 so I am calling it quits for the night...2hrs working on a washer SUCKS! guess I'll take my other truck to work in the morning...fingers are about to bleed from trying to "feel it out and off"...getting really frustrated too...
    Still Need help any suggestions?

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The number one tool I have ever found deeling with hubs, is a "Radiator Hose Remover" If you don't know what this is, it looks like an ice pick that has been bent four or five times! It's used to seperate baked on hoses from the housing so it all comes off in one piece, but I've found a thousand uses for this tool! Other than that, a lot of patience and a lot of pounding!!! Unfortunately, sometimes I have to break things in order to properly fix them! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

6. BowtieBlazer

yep looks like I will be breaking this soon enough to fix it. Never heard of the radiator hose tool is that a specialty tool through snap on or something?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

are you using a pick set?

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have used two small jeweler's screwdrivers (can be picked up as a set for $5 at the local hardware store) to remove them. Stick one in one hole and the other in a hole 180 degrees from the other and and hold them at an angle toward each other and pull out. I've had a few stubborn ones that I've used this method. Others I have just used my fingers.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If you can find set of looooong skinny needle nosed pliers you can sort of work it out of there, try a telescoping magnet also, just try not to stick it to anything else /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. BowtieBlazer

yeah tried a pick set already didnt work.. I ended up using a clothes hanger I cut and bent to suit my needs hook shaped so when I passed it through it hooked around the lock washer. Came out with LOTS more pulling tugging and swearing. Turns out there is a raised part in the keylock channel part of my spindle that it was seated behind!