Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Hubbing comps to a cable modem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, Dec 16, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I have a cable modem and with my siblings and dad we need / like to have all our computers hooked up when we are at home for our own general uses dad-- work, me-- work, brother and sis leisure. I have all of the network cables plugged in and only one computer gets all the access the others are banned in a sense and recieve no connection. My computer at school runs on the LT1 connection but for some reason wont recognize the cable modem here at home whether its connected directly to the modem or hub no matter how much either has been restarted. the windows box giving me most problems is on a WIN 98 platform. Any processes I should try, I have tried rebooting the box without the card plugged in and reinstalled drivers with no luck. Any help? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

You need to set up each computer for the network. Set dhcp for your ip info. Make sure to tell the computers to use the ethernet port. Ask me all the questions you want... I use to install cable modems for a living.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ...runs on the LT1 connection...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Would this be the Telco's high performance T1, built on a 350 block?

Every network device in the world has a unique hexadecimal identifying code known as the MAC address (media access something).

Your cable modem might be set up to respond to only the first mac address that connected to it on initial install. On the computer that currently DOES have access, I'd be willing to bet if you changed the network card and swapped in an identical card, you'd no longer be able to connect with it, but if you put the card in a different machine it would connect. That's a good way to test if that's the problem.

What I recommend is getting a multiport router that can spoof mac addresses. Something like the Linksys or Netgear Cable/DSL router on the shelf in about any computer store's network junk section (wireless is cool if you have a laptop, too).

When you get the box, you can set it up to mimic your computer's mac address, and it should work fine. It's also a switch/hub, so you can plug all you computers into it.

I've set this up for dozens of people, and it's been a great solution for under $100.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

He is right on the money. The cable modem company will only talk to the computer with the correct MAC address. A cable modem router can spoof this for you. I bought my cable modem router with 4 port hub and wireless for $120.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

You need a router, setup the routers IP and computer name to that of the cable companys specs and then connect all the pc's to it.
    OR, harder approch but a little cheaper. Put two NIC's in the first machine, setup the cable modem to one of the NIC's and then hookup a switch up to the 2nd NIC.
    Routers and Switches enable automatic IP addresses and require alot less SETUP than Hubs. If you have a hub that you have to keep see analogx.com and get his Proxy server program (its good and its free), run it on the #1 PC and then hook up you hub to the 2nd Network card, then the others should be good. You may want to run a firewall on the #1 pc and then run NetBIOS on the others for connection sharing.
    Let me know if you need more info!
    Jeremiah