Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Hydro Booster Leaking (I think)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Feb 20, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As some of you know I have been having this problem with my brakes after I swapped on HydroBoost and a Dana 60. I am pretty confident that the problem is not on the axles. I noticed some fluid on my steering shaft and master cylinder so I wiped everything down and a few days later I noticed a puddle under the truck and steering shaft was oily again and there was fluid on the bracket that holds the HB lines from the unit. I thought my MC cap was leaking cause it is one of those steel ones with the locking bar on them, but as I looked at things it appears that there is a "Tell-Tale" hole on the HB unit where it bolts to the MC. I think this is where the fluid is coming from. Brake fluid and PS fluid are both clear so I cannot tell which this is. Is it possible for the booster to be leaking past the piston? Is this what that hole in the bottom of the HB for?

Thanks

Ira

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

TTT for the guys coming of work.

Ira

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I've been having the same problems with my retrofitted hydroboost.
    I took out the tee in the return line after reading your other post. Now I dont have draging brakes anymore and I dont need a spring to pull the pedal up anymore.:laugh:
    Now my leak was easier to narrow down since I run ATF in the pump and the leak is pink. It seems to be dripping from between the M/C and the booster. I wonder if I blew out a seal or o-ring when I have the return lines teed together. If we had a diagram on how to disassemble and replace the seal, it would probably be cheap to fix.
    But I'm taking the easy way out like you were going to do. I just picked up another used hydro-boost unit today.:D
    To determine if its brake fluid or powersteering fluid, try mixing a couple drops with water. Brake fluid should mix but p/s fluid shouldnt.:dunno:
    Good luck
    Bob

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info. I wonder if putting pressure on the "wrong" side of the booster can cause a seal to fail. I do know that mine will not pass the leak down check in the GM service manual. Hopefully the booster will fix all of my braking issues.

Ira

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've been having a similar leak for over a year (too many projects to finish this little problem since the brakes work well). Mine is brake fluid leaking from the rear of the MC. I think this is due to the fact that the rear reservoir is much smaller than the front and the rear calipers use a lot of fluid, so under heavy braking it will fill up higher than the lid can hold. BTW the rubber seal in the lid does not do a good job sealing the MC, and the bar-type retainer is a poor design. My freshly painted shock up front is already peeling paint from brake fluid. Once it leaks enough out and settles on a level it likes, I stop having a leak.

The reason for filling the MC is because I just swapped in a new front axle.