Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, hydro locked???/

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by steve_kibbe, Jul 31, 2004.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I was wheeling last week in my 83 GMC K2500 6.2 Diesel and entered a water hole to fast. My engine cut off, won't start. The starter didn't even click, so I pulled it and replaced it, now starter will try to turn over motor but can't. I took out the glow plugs, but to no sucess. Any sugestions, or should I just pull it and drop the pan?
    I do have a BBC, but I was gunna put that in my K5. I like the diesel, but not sure about cost of fixing or replacement.
    Thanks,
    Steve /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

if you were turning any rpms at all, it most likely frigged it. Trying to start it probably made it worse.

3. steve_kibbe

update, I finally got the enging to turn over, did have water in the cylinders. I turned it over for 10 seconds, then waited and repeated. I filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil, hoping to help get rid of water, now just waiting.

I wasn't turning many rpm's, maybe 1500, it didn't make a horible noises, just cut off.

I'm hoping to get it running this evening, we'll see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How did water get into your engine in the first place? If it came in from the air cleaner, if your lucky, your air cleaner stopped the flow of air and cut it off that way- meaning minimal damage to your engine. Good luck.

5. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Don't worry about the Oil, just pull the Glow Plugs and turn it over for about 15 seconds. Reinstall and hope for the best.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have heard this some where before? Read the trip reporst section under "MidWest Spring K5 Thing" and read up on another Diesel that went lake hopping!!

7. steve_kibbe

Where do I find the trip report?
    I did get everything back together, and it turns over, but it still won't fire??? Still working with it though. Is there any way to know if I bent a rod or something similar without removing the engine?
    Thanks for all the luck.
    Steve

8. OFFRDK5

Here is the trip report

http://www.coloradok5.com/springthing.shtml

Now about it not running. You are missing something in the chamber...fuel or air. Does it even try to start and then stop running? Do your glow plugs work now? Did you use a test light and make sure that they were getting power to the glow plugs? Is the cranking speed ok? Did you change the oil? Is there a mixture of oil and anti freeze somewhere? Does it knock when it it is being turned over? Did you happen to unplug the pink wire on the top of the injector pump?

Thats all I can think of right now.

9. steve_kibbe

I finally got some time to work on it this weekend, I don't think I'm getting any fuel, so I'm in the process of cleaning tanks/lines/filters. I'm hoping to get it all finished this weekend. I did find something interesting though, a electric fuel pump. It's not working though, I think I'll replace it and see what happens.
    I'll keep y'all posted.
    Thanks for the help.

10. OFFRDK5

Electric fuel pump on a 1983? Using an electric on a 1983 is not right. It is a mechanical fuel pump, lift pump, that is on those vehicles. I know, I own one!! Maybe you broke the rod that allows that pump to work!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I kept having problems with my mech fuel pump. I put an electric pump on my 6.2. No problems since.

12. OFFRDK5

Interesting, I thought I read something somewhere that you weren't supposed to do that. I guess if it works, use it!!

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Mine's got an inline electric pump right under the cab. Confused me too. Anyone got a pic of a mechanical lifter?