Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help I broke something in 4X4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Oct 27, 2006.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

We had a killer snow storm here yesterday, so naturally I had to lock in 4x4 and run around in the snow.

There was no dry pavement when I was out. When I took off I noticed after 10 blocks that the front did not seem to be driving. So I check and one hub was not quite in so I turned it just a little and we were good.

Went to Wally's, pulled out a Jeep on the way and came home.

Drove my Ma to work as her Murano was buried and the snow would have high centered it like the Jeep we pulled out.

There was no crap on the road then so I left the hubs locked and put the T-case in 2 Hi.

Getting back to the cul-de-sac snow was still deep and now Icy. So I stopped and dropped into 4 Hi. Had to throttle it up the hill and slid to a stop in hard packed snow. Put it into reverse and when I started to back up I heard a load POP. Got into the drive no issues.

Today went to go down the snow packed Cul-de-sac and the front end popped even with the T-case in 2 HI. It now does this unless I have the front hubs un locked. Where do I start I have never had an 4x4 issues.

Thanks

Tim

2. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I would check all the u-jointed areas.....steering knuckes and at both ends of the front driveshaft. If nothing's wrong there, jack the front of the truck up and spin one tire. If the other tire spins the other way, then your axle shafts are probably okay. Then crack open the front cover and check the condition of the ring and pinion. I guess it could be the transfer case. Maybe pop that into neutral and spin the front and rear outputs to test it....

3. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I put the t-case in 4 hi left the hubs un locked and drove the truck up the cul-de-sac and no noise. Visual inspection of the U-joints is okay, but all I did was look them over. I will jack up the front end tomorrow and spin the wheels.

Thanks
    Tim

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

....any noise from the hubs when you lock and unlock them????

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Maybe a broken hub

Ira

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking....Busted hub. Let's hope anyway. They are cheap and easy as pie to do.

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

With the hubs locked yet in 2wd, I would look at axle u joints. That the sound I've heard when a u joint was wiped out.

John