Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! I got towed home last night! Transfer Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

OK, 1988 350,700R-4,NP-208. Last night I'm taking off across a intersection, driving normal, and with in 5 feet POP! Nothing but a grinding noise. No power to the wheels. After a few mins. investigating I figure out it must be my transfer case, tried locking my hubs(nothing), tried shifting between 2H-4H-4L, only got the same grinding noise.
    So I dropped the transfer case today and much to my suprise it looked perfect. But playing with it on the bench I couldn't get it to disengae from 4H. It felt fine shifting but it always stayed engaged. So I figure tommorow I'll reassemble and hope for the best. ALSO is that a one time use crush nut&washer that holds the front driveline hub onto the shaft? The Haynes manual says to "discard" the nut, washer, and seal. That is all the say.
    Thanks guys, by the way did I say that I'm selling it Tuesday!!! I really need to figure this one right now.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

2. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Check the range fork and the plastic pads on it. I've been through about 5 of them. They're about $50, but I haven't bought one for a couple years. They wear out if the shifter is not adjusted properly. When mine goes out I can't shift it into high, I get low and sometimes nuetral.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

OK, I looked at my shift forks tonight, the smaller one does not have any pads on it and dosen't seem to be as in of good condition as the larger one. SOUND RIGHT? Thanks alot for your help. Matt

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well it is hard to say without being there, but sounds like the tranny blew out. That is exactly what happened to me less then a week ago.... just driving and it went. I'd say that is obviously the problem if you reassemble and it isn't fixed.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. ksogn

ksogn Registered Member

I THINK IT IS YOUR konverter.

:)