Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, I Have Brain Mush

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I need to be reminded why K5's are superior to Jeeps. After wheeling with Jeeps a few times I'm thinking there is some advantage to the light weight and that gas mileage would be nice. The whole top comes off and the doors are light enough that I can take them off with no problem. Tight trails are no longer tight trails. A 9000# winch is plenty. Daisy Duke had one. My hubby can keep his K30 and his Jimmy for when we need a big truck to tow/etc. I need some serious /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I know. Tell me all of your stories about when you were wheeling with Jeeps and they had problems, please. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The only reliable Heep is one full of GM parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You'll spend mega $$$ making one as tough and heavy duty as a K5. Just try fitting You, your hubby, 3 kids, and gear into a Jeep.....that is why fullsizes are superior. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The advantages to a fullsize far out weigh the drawbacks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ah, I saw this post on the Offroad mailing List! *SHAKING HEAD* Why would you wanna go and do somehting as crazy as that? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So you guys would be keeping your K5 and buying a Jeep for when you dont need such a big rig? Thats not bad then. Actually i like Jeeps alot. Just dont think I could replace my K5 with a Jeep. I have thoguht about it but cant bring myself to do it. Get the K5 set-up right and it will go just about anywhere you point it! BUt if your hearts set on a Jeep and it will be a vehicle in addition to the K5, go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Jeeps are nice too! But I agree with Brett on the list about looking for a 91+ with the EFI 4.0....

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You ever plan to bring more then 1 person with you and still have your tools, gear and a cooler?

That said...the weight is starting to piss me off. I have more then once been screwed by the weight.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The advantages to a fullsize far out WEIGH the drawbacks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Made a joke and didn't even realize it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ah, I saw this post on the Offroad mailing List! *SHAKING HEAD* Why would you wanna go and do somehting as crazy as that? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I know (hanging head). I am not sure what's wrong with me. Seems to me those little rigs just scoot up & over & around things with ease. The visibility has got to be better. Yes we'd still have the Jimmy and the K30 but I would have to sell my Blazer in order to afford anything else. When we go places all together, we go in the Jimmy because it has a much better interior/creature comforts than my Blazer. The one for sale near me is just the 2.5 liter, but it is fuel injected and lifted. Also we have a spare small block or 2 here. I am spending far too much time dwelling on this. I think the "Jeep thing" bit me over the weekend. Plus we were camping in the rain all weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

swap a s-10 blazer body onto your k5... then you'll be narrow... light.. and still have room for stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I would start by getting off that Offroad mailing list. They seem to be a little biased toward jeeps, and maybe the propaganda is starting to have an effect on you. Then, seek some counseling. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

You lost me at this part [ QUOTE ]
    Daisy Duke

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the question again? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, there is one sure way to loose all that weight and bulk... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[​IMG]
    May the farce be with you!

Sorry, couldn't resist... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I should have gotten more sleep instead of staying up and working on Gen III of my floor/seat/belt mounts last night...

11. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks NerdBoy. My husband says if I get a Jeep that is grounds for divorce. I have way too much into my Blazer to even consider it. And I'm working on a parts supplier site that is biased towards Jeeps. Hubby thinks it is brainwashing me. I've always kinda liked them but everytime I'm around them more it gets worse. I have never even driven one so I thought, maybe I'll go test drive & decide they truly are POS vehicles. I do plan to go measure ground clearance for comparison sake today. It's either this or I need to find a convertible (I mean all the way, the half cab is not enough) Blazer for dirt cheap to swap my good stuff into. That might work.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this may be a BIT outta line, BUT im gonna say it anyway.

because a hot woman in a full size is ten times sexier than a hot woman in a heep. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif every lil blonde wants a jeep. very few chicks drive AND WORK ON an older full size.

and the take the kids/gear/food/garage/bed/house with you thing.

if you end up getting a jeep you will end up with a chevy drivetrain inside a jeep body. and then have to buy all kinds of racks to carry half what you normaly would with your K5.

BUT, if you plan on adding one to your ride list, then go for it.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGrant

13. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thanks BadDog, but /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ! Not my style.

14. jekbrown

alternatively, you could swap a jeep body (fiberglass?) onto your K5 frame/drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif then you'd have pretty much everything you wanted. Cage would have to be scrapped... and you'd have to bob the rear of the frame (4 link?) but other than that, you'd be set. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

15. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

jeeps are like any other vehicle you want to take
    wheeling. the harder you wheel the stronger you must make it. they are pretty good scooters once you put the large tires on them and they look like stomper 4x4 's /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i had an option on buying a jeep when i got my k5, but i like the fact of having enough room to carry what i need.
    and the k5 can go topless and doorless. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The main reason I don't have a Jeep is the drivetrain. If I wanted a mall poser 4x4 and didn't care about going four wheeling, I'd have a Jeep. Slap a set of 35s on one and they look HUGE! Take it wheeling once and you'll probably break it or roll it over.

I would never 'wheel in anything around here but a fullsize. You live in Wisconsin, so I'd be willing to bet you hit the same kind of trails I hit. If not, come down here and try some of the deep mud and other obstacles with a Jeep. If you roll over or simply bury yourself due to lack of power or weak drivetrain, you'll believe me.

We have trails here that a Jeep can run on, we just make them bypass the tough sections. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    The main reason I don't have a Jeep is the drivetrain.

[/ QUOTE ]

rubicon? hate to say it, but the ruby heep's junk ownz any drivetrain that ever came stock in a k5... and its a lot lighter of a rig too.

j

18. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

If you go to test drive, I suggest you try getting it out somewhere muddy, and try pulling your husband's truck out of a hole with it. That should convince you right there.

Personally, I'm with him on the "grounds for divorce" thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I do run with the top off on mine but it's just the half top. Doesn't do much for me. I have taken the doors off/on 3 times and they aren't doing so well with that. I have 2 very bent hinge pins. I can't take them off by myself and it's not easy to get them back on either. I would like to know if there is a pattern or something for half doors with the soft top to them. If I stick with this thing and I probably will, I have to find an older body in decent shape (1975 or older) and do something about the doors. The rust issues on my 1990 hardly seem worth the repair now and seriously interfere with daily use of it. Now, I'm going outside to wash and try to pound out a dent. Hopefully that "quality time" will help me remember why I like it so much.

20. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I do run with the top off on mine but it's just the half top. Doesn't do much for me. I have taken the doors off/on 3 times and they aren't doing so well with that. I have 2 very bent hinge pins. I can't take them off by myself and it's not easy to get them back on either. I would like to know if there is a pattern or something for half doors with the soft top to them. If I stick with this thing and I probably will, I have to find an older body in decent shape (1975 or older) and do something about the doors. The rust issues on my 1990 hardly seem worth the repair now and seriously interfere with daily use of it. Now, I'm going outside to wash and try to pound out a dent. Hopefully that "quality time" will help me remember why I like it so much.

[/ QUOTE ] there are a few people here with half doors
    you can check out. also i have had a couple ideas of my own , like making a light tubular frame door with canvas
    and windows /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif