Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! I have the option of manual or auto. ?????!!!!!?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scouthead, Mar 16, 2007.

1. scouthead

scouthead 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've searched myself half blind, and now I need some input from the pros!
    Here's the deal:
    I picked up a 4WD '89 Chevy Burb a couple of years ago, for a few hundred bucks. Rebuilt the motor, but the body turned out to be a basketcase, and there was a lot of DMV fees due, so I yanked the entire drivetrain and parted out the truck.
    So now: TBI 350 / 700r4(K-case & computer lock-up)/ NP241 waiting to be dropped into something. Didn't want to hack my FJ55, so I had planned on dropping EVERYTHING from the burb (colomn, pedal assemblies, wiring, fuel/cooling systems) into my '62 Scout.
    Well now I might have another very beat FJ55 to build, and between some friends can come up with enough stuff to bolt my TBI 350 to a chevy bell, to a toyota 4 speed trans/transfer, for almost free. So now I can run the entire plug and play chevy setup, or delete the 700r4/NP241, and go manual. This won't be a daily driver, but I will be driving it to wherever I wheel it. I'm not interesed in million dollar rebuilds...I want to use what I have now.

List of pros and cons:

-700r4/NP241-
    Pro:
    overdrive, low first gear/torque converter, better transfer gearing
    Con: tranny might fail, compression braking?

-Toyota trans/transfer-
    Pro: no way for 700r4 to fail, has compression braking, and will be using chevy bellhousing/clutch so may be easy to swap to SM420 or 465 later
    Con: no overdrive, transfer has crappy low range, shifting in traffic sucks balls.

There will be a bunch of grunt work and fab to do for either setup, but they will end up costing about the same...
    MY TWO MAIN QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE ANSWERED ARE:
    1)
    If I go with the auto, is there any compression braking at all if you drop the shifter into 1st?? I can't imagine not having compression braking going down some of the trails I like.
    And
    2) Will unplugging the 700r4 from the harness keep my cruise control from working if I go with the manual? ( I would still be using a VSS...but also would be ordering a new EPROM chip for a man. trans. from the dealer...)

Anyone who can help me tip the scale here would be apreciated. Thanks.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1) Yep, your 700r4 will compression brake if you manually drop it back into 2nd or 1st. Just be careful, I've busted a few of them doing that before...

2) Your ECM won't care for a second that the transmission isn't hooked up. In those years all it does is lock up the torque converter, and it honestly doesn't have a clue if it is working or not. Just tie the wiring up and out of the way, or if you have no intention of every using a 700r4, cut it off & cap the wires.

3. scouthead

Sierra classic, how did the 700r4 break? Were you already going down a hill and then slammed it down into gear? Or did it just give out on you halfway down? Pump problems, or something inside shear?
    Good to know about the tranny wiring. Thanks.

4. scouthead

Also forgot to ask, what about braking in reversse? Say I make a run at a wicked steep hill and have no hope of getting to the top... normally I would throw it into reverse and tap the brakes on the way back down...How about with the auto?