Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! I need a carrier for my rear-end.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Oct 14, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

What do you all recommend for a replacement on a 10 bolt rear-end as far as the carrier is concerned? What is the cost for a replacement? Any help is appreciated.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if I had to do it I would just get a Locker, like a detroit. I am assuming your carrier broke, and to me that would be the perfect excuse to put on a locker. What I have now is an Q locker and that uses the stock carrier, and I know it's OK with the 35" I have now but it will brake under the 38" or 40" that I am planning on putting, then I will turn to detroits, which would replace my carrier.

3. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I've not checked lately but...how much are detroit lockers?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Half ton diff's with Detroits still won't survive 38-40" tires...

Rene

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As tRusty implied, you should really be thinking about 3/4-1ton stuff if you are breaking 10 bolt stuff, and plan on going larger.

Keep the money for "good" 10 bolt stuff and spend it on the really good 3/4 or 1 ton stuff. : )

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have to agree, don't spend $500+ on upgrading the 10 bolt, 1 bolts are cheap and the Detroits are much cheaper for them than they are for 10 bolts. For the record, I destroyed a 12 bolt with 38s, and I was fairly easy on it and only had a l/s. A locker in a 10 or 12 bolt will only cause worse breakage elsewhere in the axle. </font color>

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I guess it's all in the driving style.
    So far in 2 years with the Q-lock and 35" tires in my 12 bolt I am doing fine, even with the Turbo Diesel I have /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    The front D44 has only suffered axle U joint caps broken and those were the original '76 vintage.
    I am very delicate in my driving and so far I am fine, but agreed if I brake anything major and I want to step up to 38" or bigger I would go 14ff.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Buy a 14 bolt semi floater, move the spring perches and make a lincoln locker. Strong and cheap. At least this is my plan for when my lock-rite in my 10 bolt blows up.