Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP, I need K5 insurance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Feb 14, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just called Farmers insurance Co. (current carrier) about upping my insurance because of all the mods I have done, not only can they not help me they told me they do not insure altered trucks and are going to drop me. Is there any companies that will insure modified K5's out there? Oh, by the way if you work for Farmers insurance - [censored] YOU

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Check into custom and antique car clubs. There are usually special insurance companies that will cover a vehicle like yours. But these also have a nice fat bill to include with this. You may want to not tell your next insurance carrier that you have the mod's. Just have to live with it I guess. I my self have told all my friends that if I'm ina accident and can't speak for my self at the time, I want the truck towed home. I'll strip everything off it. Theft is different. That may be where the special insurance comes into play.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

3. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Holy Fook Stevo,
    WTF? IS UAV still street legal?If so i dont understand why it they cannot insure it.I mean, WTF do they care if your vehicle can climb a building or just go get groceries?Also, not that it's any of my business but, why/how do they know about your mods?Good luck....later...

One From None

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Try State Farm and put your home owners with them. I get a break since my house and cars are insured with them and NOBODY including my insurnace agent brother in law has come close to beating them with the house break I get. My B in Law came clses but was still $200 shy with the Home Owners. I have riders for a Stereo on one and other than a few extra bucks a month it was no big deal to them. Heck I don't even have a deductable if I get a windsheild busted. They always ask me if I need addition coverage when I add a vehicle.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I second that motion (censor)-you farmers insurance!

6. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Is that legal for them to drop you like that for having a modified vehicle?? Thats vehicle discrimination ... lol.

DOOH!![​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com>http://loudandproud.coloradok5.com</A>

7. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Steve,I went through the same thing about a year ago.They just up and cancelled me when the term was up.I went through an insurance broker here in Longmont and they found a different company for me.
    Marilyn Pentz @
    A.V Dwork-Longmont,CO
    (303)776-5335
    Tell her what probs you're having and she'll work with you.The company she found is Guide One Specialty Mutual.They should cover up to a 4" suspension lift.They covered mine w/ 4sus and 3"bod.Had to take a lot of pics for them and wait for approval but they covered it.They're not too expensive either.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    <font color=blue>does anyone have another F#@d that I can park on?</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Steve-
    Here's who I have my K5 insured with:

Dean L Morrison
    3282 S. Wadsworth (Hampden and Wadsworth)
    303-985-1576

The policy is actually through Progressive.

2 years ago, I got an appraisel and took that to them and they took a few pictures. That was with a 454, 6" lift and Boggers. Never said a word about being too high or anything. It's still insured though Dean Morrison/Progressive.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>http://www.off-road.com/chevy</A>

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I have had good luck with State Farm. They insured me on my 86 Pickup with a 6 inch lift, 3 inch body lift, with 38.5 TSL Super Swampers. I once went mudding in it and got stuck. When I got yanked out the tow strap snapped up and bent my rear stock bumper. They got me a new chrome stock bumper at the dealership. I had full coverage but nothing else special for a modified vehicle.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Boy, this is a real shocker for me to hear about everybody elses problems with ins. co.s. I am at American Family and they know all about my 85 K30's mods. They still let me by with regular full coverage that costs the same as any other vehicle. Guess it helps to live in a small town, too. Also guess it helps when your agent collects antique cars also since he knows where "car and truck guys" are coming from. I have a full coverage/no deductible for $55.00 per month. Thats cheap to me.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to know how, (besides them being private, and doing whatever they like) if the mods meet federal regulations (they do, correct, since they are sold) and state regulations (it must if youcan still register it) they can drop you? I don't recall ever having any "modified" questions asked of me when I registered my truck through Geico. They also never asked if my car had a different motor than stock, which would be just as "dangerous" for them to insure. These are the only instances that I can say that it sucks that you are forced to get insurance. Don't get me wrong, but what I am saying is the companies KNOW you have to get insurance no matter what, so there is no way they can lose, especially if all of them got together and decided not to license "modified" trucks. *shudder*

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

12. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

at this time, i'd like to fan the flames of paranoia and point out that we are rapidly approaching 1984.
    not the year, the state of governmental control. and if you don't think the insurance companies have politicians in their pockets, you're not very bright.
    now with the human genome mapped, they can discriminate against you before you're even born! at risk of cancer?
    POLICY DENIED
    parents have a history of heart disease, alcoholism, spousal abuse?
    LIMITED POLICY AVAILABLE
    mods to your truck, to despoil our nation's pristine land, which should be off-limits to the public (for their own good, of course)?
    POLICY CANCELED
    make less than one mill per year?
    YOU DON'T MATTER

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    don't lie. its a courier with a campershell

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Let me save you trouble here. If AAA says they will take you...be afriad, be very afriad. They are awful. By far the worst of any insurance out there. I am currently suing them over an accident I was in and not at fault for. The lawyer I hired says they are sued the most over any other company. Have the highest turn around rate in the people they hire. Not only this they do all they can to get your money and pay you nothing when you need them. They are stupid! My car totalled would have cost them $6500 to give me the money for it. Instead the opted to fix it and it cost them $7100. If that isn't plain stupid I dunno what is! Trust me here AAA is only good for road side service and that is it...if you have them, run, run hard and don't look back.....!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

14. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Steve, I work for one of Farmers' larger competitors as a claims adjuster and it seems very odd to me that you would be dropped for just having a modified vehicle. There has to be more to it than just that. It may also have to do with your agent. All agents do not treat their customers equally!!! You can just ask them to increase your coverage and you should not have a problem with that, after all you would be giving Farmers more money in premiums anyway. Now, a word of advice--do not tell your new carrier your truck is modified. In the claims that I have handled, I've yet to see a problem with a person being dropped because of they modifications to their vehicle. The only thing your auto policy won't cover are things in the vehicle that are not "part of the vehicle" such as personal items in the vehicle--those would have to be covered through your homeowners policy. An agent considers alot of things such as driving histories and records to determine if you shold be dropped or not. As some of the guys have said, insurance companies offer discounts if you insure your home and vehicles and even life with them. I know an agent that I highly recommend and if you are interested, let me know and I'll call him. Everyone I've sent to him is EXTREMELY satisfied with their rates. And no--trust me, he won't ask you if your vehicle is modified. Good luck.

15. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Stephanie, I don't want to get off subject here, but I deal with attorneys every day and I don't know what kind of surveys "your" attorney has taken that indicate AAA is the company that is "sued most", but when it comes to dealing with attorneys--especially attorneys--there are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story. Not defending AAA, but I have learned that many times an attorney will tell his clients what they want to hear. I go through this practically every day. Just my .02!

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a big difference between "full coverage" and "stated-value coverage". With full-coverage, your insurance company will provide you with the blue-book value of your vehicle, should it be stolen or totalled. On older rigs this could be $1,500 or less. Not exactly a consolation if your rig had $15,000 worth of recent mods and upgrades. [​IMG]

A stated-value policy requires that you fill out a special form that lists the mods and get a professional apprasial performed at your cost. You provide that info (and usually pictures) to the insurance company as evidence of the value. Receipts for the work done, parts installed, etc. are also a good thing to have. The additional cost is usually minimal, since most of the cost of insurance is for liability coverage, not theft or collision.

I had $7K stated-value coverage for my old, rusty '75 K5, because of the 'vette engine, 1-ton tranny and t-case, 3/4-ton axles, lift kit, tires, wheels, custom seats, etc. When the engine ingested water and self-destructed, the insurance co. covered it as flood damage. They wrote me a check for $5,600 (the cost to have a Chevy dealer replace the short block!!!!) for a vehicle that had a book value of $1,300.

If I'd have just had regular full coverage, they would have given me $1,300 and totalled my truck. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yet another reason why I save ALL receipts when modifying my K30. The way I have heard around here and in magazines, if you save all the necessary receipts and tickets, etc. you will be ok as long as they are dated at the time you bought the vehicle and during the time you own it. If you tried to use tickets that were dated before or after you owned it, those were denied.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most insurance companies will still stiff you on most of the money unless you filled out the forms and proved the value to them before you make a claim, especially if you spent a ton of cash on a vehicle that's technically worthless. [​IMG] Sometimes they'll give you a few more bucks if you just put new tires on it or just had it painted. But there's a limit to how high they'll go.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

19. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

HarryH3 is pretty much on target. What you need, as suggested earlier is a good agent who'll know what your needs are. I work for a large carrier and the ins. co. can probably drop you for excessive presumed risk. That's why you need an agent who understands what YOU are talking about. But, be ready to pay a little more.

And for those of you who think State Farm or Geico's good, come see me after you have a loss. I'm dealing with State [censored] over a guy who rear-ended my rig. I'll save some time & tell you they're just plain idiots. They don't want to pay the extra labor for alignment because the suspension is modified. I know standard claims practices and they've screwed this one up so bad you wouldn't believe. Geico asked a secretary in our office to get copies of police reports for them or they wouldn't pay for her rental car---guess they need another cup of coffee like the one they show on TV.

I've given thought to specialty insurance. The MyClassiccar.com web site used to have al link to specialty insurers. Might be worth checking if you can't find a good agent.

good luck,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>

20. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Harry, stated value is what I am looking for, the reason Farmers knew about my mods is because I told them, I wanted to get stated value so I wouldn't loose my butt if I should happen to roll it over at Easter J**P Saffari [​IMG].
    Because my policy expires at the end of this month and they already sent it out they will not cancle (sp) my policy for another 6 months, and they are fine with the mods since they know about them. They also said that if I was involved in an accident and they found out about the mods that it was possible they could have denied payout, that would have sucked if I were to really hurt someone. I just want to know that a clain would be paid out in the event of an accident even though I have a lift and larger tires (a great way for an insurance Company to weisel out).
    Harry, who did you have coverage with?

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers