Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! I need softer rear suspension!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Oct 3, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im running stock rear springs with 4" blocks, I know there bad, but im gonna get a set of custom springs when i can afford em, But does anyone know how i can soften em up so the back end of my truck doesnt buck up when i jump? It gets really scary when your jumpin 3 feet or so in the air.
    Thanks

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, that is always a thought. I just dont really want to spend any money right now, I just think it doesnt make sense to buy a flip and the springs when im going to go buy new springs in the next 6 months

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

After you've tried the 57's you won't wanna bother buying other rear springs. They are pre-runner soft... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rene

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup!! can't beat'm i'm gonna pick up mine tomarrow from pick and pull $20 each

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

After the flip and the 57's you may not want new springs. I didn't and I was looking to go exotic with a coil and link setup. It was a relatively inexpensive mod which outperformed my expectations.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ZCZ,

If you keep jumping your truck....you will NEVER have the money for custom rear springs, you'll be spending all your extra money fixing OTHER stuff that breaks! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well that gets me thinking, I dont really want to go any higher than my truck already sits, its already tipsy enough off road at speed. Is there any way I could swap the 57's on and not gain anymore than 4" of lift? My goal is to be able to do a little pre-running and not break stuff or have my truck get crazy when i hit stuff at speed.
    Greg, I know all about breaking stuff when jumping, That is why as soon as I learn how to weld im going to start strengthning the frame in the high stress places, and Im going to get some axle trusses to add some more strength.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can the 57s be used in a 6" lift ???? I've currently got a 6" lift, and want to get rid of the blocks in the rear. I'd love to get rear flex like that !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just for reference here is a few flex pics of my truck, it seems to work ok for slow speed stuff but anything involving jumping or speed is just plain scary.
    Maybe that will help some.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Most definately, a longer shackle can make up the difference and give you 6" with the 57's.

12. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

an easy way to gain softer ride and get better flex is by doing a shackle flip off road design sells kit or you can fab your own . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok, say I get them 57"....what do I have to do to my drive shaft? Will it come out? Or does it have enough travel? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif