Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! I think I fried my cd player

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BayouBlazer88, Jan 13, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

This is my first time in this forum so I appologize if this has been discussed already. Anyway, I have an Aiwa cd/mp3 player in my blazer (installed it about 2 yrs ago) and this past weekend I had to pull out my dash to work on the air vent ducts. I noticed that the little strip of metal that is supposed to support the rear of the cd player was no longer connected to the cd player. And I could see why because it was almost impossible trying to put a screw in the back of the cd player with it already installed so it was only finger tightened. Forgot to mention, the metal bracket was attached to the plastic air duct and not metal. So I decided to mount the bracket on the metal wall below the dash because not only would it support it well but it was also easy to install. Well everything is going fine but when I put the cd player back in through the opening (with the bracket already connected) the bracket touched the metal and there was a slight spark. I didnt think anything of it and installed everything. Then I go to turn the key to the "run" position and I hit the power button on the stereo and nothing happens. I figured the problem was that the stereo was shorting through the bracket so I put a peice of rubber between the metal wall and the metal bracket and try again and still nothing. There is a 15 amp fuse in the back of the stereo and I checked that and it was fine. Then I pulled the whole thing out and held it in my hands with the wires still connected to be CERTAIN the stereo was not touching any metal and still nothing. I checked the power wires with a volt meter and they were fine. So does anyone know what is wrong and how I can fix this? Thanks.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That stereo should have (2) hot wires Normally red and orange, but sometimes yellow. Some stereos won't work if one of those wires is dead. It can be a PITA, but trace those wires back looking for inline fuces, also check fuces at panal.

3. BayouBlazer88

Ok, yes there are 2 power wires: 1 red which is only hot when the key is in the run position and 1 yellow which is directly connected to the battery and always hot. I checked both of these wires and they are both good. It has to be an internal problem. Any ideas?

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might want to unplug the wiring harness from the back of the radio and check for power in the plug with a test light. If you getting power there then its in the radio. The wiring terminals have been know to become loose and not make a good connection pluging into the back. Sometimes these wires get pulled and loosen in the wiring harness plugs during installs and removals.

5. BayouBlazer88

Problem Solved!!! The ground wire I was using was not properly connected so it wasn't always getting a good charge. Anyway, thanks for the help.