Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help I think Im crazy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Feb 15, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well heres the deal, I need you guys to tell me that what Im doing is the right thing and that Im not crazy.

heres the brief background that some know already, 4 years ago I wanted a hot rod go fast car and nothing could change my mind. I saw the four wheeler issue with toby harrels big orange blazer and the next week bought an 84 half ton. spent the next three years constantly changing it till it was a locked 3/4 ton with 35s and a hot motor. I beat it all to hell and finally rolled it. it was in terrible shape but I continued to use it as my dd because I thought that it was the coolest thing ever, still do.

got a good deal on a 78 half ton with a great body and no motor for $250. got it put in my motor and I drive it now. everyone I have talked to, especially my parents, have said to leave it stock and have a good reliable truck, not that my other one wasnt, it just looked like a crumpled up tin can. I decided that was the best idea and have done a good job of keeping it that way.

its been 2 months since Ive driven a big truck and the other day I drove an 83 with 44s around town a little and now Im torn. part of me knows that if I build up this truck Ill end up trashing it just like the last one but at the same time Im going crazy not having to jump to get in. I already have the lift and locked 3/4 tons and after that truck I drove yesterday I got a huge motivation boost and am ready to get started.

am I crazy for wanting to build up this truck and wheel it hard? sorry for the long story but Im losing my mind. I want my monster back but Im scared of what might happen.

2. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like you know what will happen. But I say lift it and don't thrash on it too hard.

Good luck,
    Mike

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I say go with your hearts desire.

4. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester 1/2 ton status

Lift LIFT LIFT LIFT ! ! ! ! ! !

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

We only live once. Enjoy it by doing what you want, not what other want for you. Just my oppinion though.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Amen to that, build that truck how YOU want it built. And smile everyday you drive it because lifes to short to worry about the small stuff. Besides, tear this one up and in a few years you can get another one! :D I would do that to my blazer but I have a little sentimental attachment to it. If I didnt believe you me it would look like it has been to hell and back.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

O.K. you're crazy, so what. Get ya' a cheap run around DD and build your truck the way you want it.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build it. Drive it. Smash it. Fix it. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

9. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Put your hot motor back in the big truck and source you a stock to mild motor for the DD truck. then you can beat the snot out of the big truck on the weekends and still have a truck to drive.

10. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Now that is a classic :haha:

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with SkysTheLimit -- Don't wheel your DD... Put the build engine back into the beaten truck, and play with it on the weekends, and leave your other truck relatively stock....

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

no such thing! :haha:

lift it man, thats what you really want

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

One thing comes to mind when I read this...

SuperSize75k5

He buys a truck resto's it lifts it, locks it, and says I won't beat it up. That has happened with about 4-5 trucks now and now he has pretty much no trucks to show for it in the end.

He is getting smarter though. He is building a buggy to beat up on the weekends and has a truck to work with during the weekdays.

Have one for both purposes. Put a motor in the DD that is good and reliable and don't do anything to it. Then put the hot motor back in the beater and beat it. This way you can have fun and still get to work on Monday morning.

Harley

14. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

leave the nice one nice, and build another to trash. my '94 pickup still looks showroom nice (ok, not quite, but dang good) and is a solid DD. i use the k5 for my offroad/crazy-driving fun. considering how cheaply a basic k5 can be build and modded (if you have the tools and know-how), it's a no-brainer, imo. save the nice truck, because it's only nice once. restoration is nice, but i've seen some beautiful resto jobs that cost 10x what the vehicle originally did, and i'd still rather have the all-original machine.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats what I was thinking , you already have a built truck , that you don't have to worry about hurting anymore .

Why not wheel it , and keep your nicer one pretty .

Seems silly to automatically stop using the beater , because its beat . BEAT IT MORE :p:

16. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

fix up the crumbled tin can and wheel it!! put in a rol cage and there you. use the dd for dd and wheel the beater, its been said many of times so now you know what to do

17. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well the thing with the beater is that the cab is smashed and the frame is bent and twisted to hell. not really that big of a problems since it would be offroad only but at the same time it needs more than just a motor. it needs a motor a tranny a transfercase and driveshafts. add all that together plus a cage after I cut the rest of the roof off and thats way more money than what Ive got.

If I swap the axles and lift into the dd Ive already got them, the lift, new u-bolts, new spring bolts and bushings, brake lines and shocks that I bought just before I quit driving and didnt use them. so Ive got everything I need and it would cost me almost nothing to do.

what I kinda wanna do is build the dd up and use it for some mild trails for the next year or so till I can afford a newer model 2wd for dd. its really hard for me to have a 4wd drive and not wheel it. plus the dd Ive got now isnt completely nice. there are already dents in the front fenders and both bedsides and the passenger side is bent so bad by the taillight that I cant put a new lense right. none of the screws will line up in the holes so it is held on with zip ties.

I fully agree with the idea of having two trucks, one for dd and one for the trails but in my current situation I cant afford to keep two trucks up and running and we hit the trails around here at least once a week. I figure if I take it easy and dont compete in the local competitions like I did with the last truck I will be ok.

18. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

You gotta do what the almighty dollar will allow. Only you know if you will be able to resist the temptation to go wheel it hard. Be honest with yourself and decide if you can do it or not. Do keep in mind that accidents happen and you may thrash something on a mild trail.

If you can, build the new truck. If you can't leave it as is so you're not tempted. Keep the lift and axles for the next time you have a viable frame / body to wheel with.

My opinion and you know what they say about opinions...