Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help - I think I'm taking it to the dealer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 2, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Help - I think I\'m taking it to the dealer

A few weeks ago, turned on the hazards and smoke came out of the colum, now I was just at a stop light and I saw smoke come out from under the steering colum, this sucks, any ideas. It is my daily driver so I don't have the option of finding a used steering colum or the time to tear it apart to fix.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Help - I think I\'m taking it to the dealer

sounds like a hot wire is shorting on a ground.
    turn signals and brakes are on same circuit, i believe.
    turn signal = smoke.
    brakes on = smoke.
    smoke = danger danger danger.

was in a buddy's blazer a looooong time ago, and we thought it was getting foggy out. one of the girls says, i smell smoke. whatever. you're a girl. what do you know. a few minutes later, me and my buddy decide maybe we smell smoke, too. we pull over and open a door, no fog in sight. as we exit the vehicle, we realize there's more smoke in the cab than a cheech and chong movie. turns out he wired some lights to the wrong thing, and burnt all the wiring under the dash.
    $200 tow-bill later, i never ignore smoke.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. waterboy

waterboy Registered Member

check your windhsield wiper motor under the steering column this happened to me but luckily every thinsg was okay except for the wipers they only run 2 speeds but i dont want to fix it in fear that it will fix then it will break severly all your wires are run through your column cruise blinker and wipers when one goes down youve got to trouble shoot to fined what is wrong i hope this helps

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

May Lord have mercy on your checkbook!

Shawn

87 K5
    with a few mods
    [​IMG]

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    It is the turn signal wiring that is zorched. It is not very hard to replace. I've replaced all the wiring with the column in the truck in under an hour. The turn signal assembly and wiring is one part and is still available through GM and will cost about $70.00. The only tools you will need is a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool to remove the locking ring under the wheel. To get the wiring to slide out of the column. remove the dash panel under the column and loosen the two bolts that hold the column to the dash structure. take the bracket off the steering column and the wiring loom plastic will come free and be able to slide out of the column. I hope this helps.

Steve Frisbie

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

don't forget to attach another wire to the ones being pulled out, this wire will be used to pull the new ones in...