Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help identify a noise, plus some other ?'s

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rocky4by, Oct 12, 2003.

1. rocky4by

rocky4by Registered Member

help identify a noise, plus some other ?\'s

I've been driving my new CUCV for a couple of days now, the first couple days it sounded normal, just your typical diesel, all I did was change the oil and the airfilter. Now it has a big base sound(sounds like you have the aircleaner lid upside down in a big block Chevy with your foot on the gas)Can't hear each other inside the truck anymore. It does need a new exhaust but I didn't see any leaks. Where's the best place for a new exhaust, like an aftermarket setup or some NOS? The noise seems to be under the hood and almost immediately when you give it gas. Also looks like it has a small front lower pully(crankshaft)leak, unless this is just the front lip of the oilpan, how hard of a job would this be to tackle? Which book would be best to help me out with future problems?
    Thanks for any info.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: help identify a noise, plus some other ?\'s

I ain't no Diesel expert, but I will try....

Is the air filter housing seated properly?
    When you reinstalled the air breather system, did you put the "muffler" back on? It looks like a big black muffler that goes between the air breather n the air inlet on the body. Usually held down by a U shaped piece of metal. I don't think that would be enough for you to not hear each other in the cab, though.

What side is it coming from? Did you check your exhaust all the way from the block to the exit? Have someone get inside and give it a little skinny pedal and see where it be coming from.

I was running wide open exhaust for a few months and you couldn't hear yourself think it was so fricken loud!! Heck, it was so loud you couldn't even hear the Boggers hum go down the road!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No idea on your oil leak. I just let mine drip if it wants to. Its called "Marking your territory" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A fresh air filter will always make a 6.2 sound louder for the first couple hundred miles. It's nothing to worry about.

Did the old air filter you pulled off have a foam wrap around it? This option is available for 6.2 air filters. It acts primarily as a pre-filter but also deadens the sound a bit more than a filter without the wrap.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A fresh air filter will always make a 6.2 sound louder for the first couple hundred miles. It's nothing to worry about.

Did the old air filter you pulled off have a foam wrap around it? This option is available for 6.2 air filters. It acts primarily as a pre-filter but also deadens the sound a bit more than a filter without the wrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call I didn't think of that one.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I turned my stock air cleaner housing into a big open element filter (long story...) and it's damn loud now...I hope I can find my spare housing and put that one on soon.

Rene

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

When you reinstalled the air breather system, did you put the "muffler" back on?

No intake silencer on a CUCV. Matter of fact, no hood insulation, firewall sound deadedner, interior carpert/insulation, rear panels...eh? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

WOW!! I thought they all came with the same stuff the civy version had!!