Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP....identify these heads??...or is there a web page for this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Jan 7, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Found some more heads for cheap....last 3 digits are 487 and 186.......are they good heads and is there a web site that has this type of info.Also how much can I safely take off these, "deck hieght" .020 or is that to much? THX Mike

2. twenty_below0

Come on guys....would like to get these a.s.a.p. if there any good THX Mike

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I can answer most of your questions...
    The 487 heads are '71-'72 350 75cc
    The 186 heads are '69-'70 302/350 64 cc camel hump heads with accessory holes.

I would assume that the #487's are the smaller 1.94 valve heads and the #186 are the larger camel hump 2.02 valve heads... but don't take my word for this.
    The 186's would probally be better heads if you want to bump up the compression due to the smaller cc chambers, and flow more with larger 2.02 valves.

Don't know how much you could safely take off the "deck height"

The website with some info to decode Chevy blocks and heads is: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm>http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm</a>
    Hope this helps![​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

4. Ryan B.

I'd grab those camel hump 186's! They'd be good to make more power, but factory heads will only get you so far... of course these heads will be inexpensive for your budget...
    Aftermarket heads would be even better... some dart iron eagle smallblock heads complete and assembled for $850 ain't bad.

Ryan B.

5. twenty_below0

THX for the info and they also have the 1.94 valves.......the chambers looked identical but the book I have says there different.....so maybe some one else can confirm your findings, THX Mike

6. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

The 487s also came with 2.02/1.60 valves. They usually have 487X stamped on them though. 487s are GREAT heads also so don't knock em! The 487s are not a light metal casting.(Like sucky 882s or 624s)- In other words they are made of good stuff and beefy composition. The 487 is great for porting and polishing intake runners too. I would personally use the 487s and sell the double humps to someone restoring a hot rod. The compression can be made up for by a flat top or small dome piston. Too much compression and you will have to run fuel additives ALL of the time and ignition upgrades. Do you want powerful/practical or an all out Hot Rod? Just my $.02 from experience....Have fun whatever ya do.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

7. twenty_below0

THX for the replies......how much can I take off the 487's .020 or would that be a little much? THX Mike

8. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

that would be up to a machine shop. They need to be checked out to see if they have been surfaced before. They can tell measuring from the casted marks on the end of the heads usually and get an idea of prior machine work. I'm not saying 186s are bad cause they're definitely not. I think the 487 would be more useful and better for low end torque too. The 186s would be good for more high rpm HP usually. K5s don't need high rpm HP too often unless you are an off road only K5 in mud or sand to keep the tires spinning fast!!.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

What? Nobody told him about www.Mortec.com? SLACKERS!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

10. Ryan B.

EDdaTREE- WHAT!?!?
    Didn't you read my first post???!!!???
    SLACKER!!![​IMG]

LOL![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

OOOOPS!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

12. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

The 487's aren't a powerhouse head, but they do have good thick castings so they won't crack easily. Much better head than the more common 882. You could have the 487's ported also.