Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help identifying drivetrain squeeks....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Dec 5, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

my 87 is squeeking badly from the front of the truck when i put it under excelleration, i jus swapped the u joints on the rear shaft like 2 months ago, and jus had manual hubs installed professionally on the front along with newly packed bearings, the squeek occurs in 2 and 4 wd. i may be runnin a lil low in tranny fluid, but would that cause it? any help identifying or fixing this problem would be of great help.. thanks...

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Does it change at all when you step on the brakes? Also, check the harmonic balancer and make sure it's not rubbing the timing cover. Did it just start after the hub install?
    You can probably rule out the tranny.

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

WHile not drive train, the squeek in my front was driving me nuts, and couldn't pin it down for the longest time. Generally @ low speeds, never when parked, and often when turning.... quad shocks. Seems the bushings in 1 pair of them weren't quite right and were squeeking whenever the springs moved. Lubed the dickens outta them spring bushings before i discovered it was the shocks!! Quiet as a mouse in church now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif