Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help identifying the 56" springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RodeoRob, Feb 28, 2002.

1. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

help identifying the 56\" springs

I'm on the lookout for a pair of rear 56" springs for a project of mine. To help me out, I was wondering if ya'll can explain some of the main differences between those and the 52" springs that will help out in the junkyard.

1. From what i gather the springs are measured eye to eye... but is that unweighted or weighted (since most trucks are sitting on their springs in the junkyard).

2. Are the centerpins centered in the 56" springs? i thought they were but someone told me they were offset just like the 52"ers.

3. How many leaves are available in the 56" variety? 7+1overload? are there more options?

I know they're found on most 73-87 3/4 tons, but not all. And can also be found on 1/2 tons too.

I ask because i found a pair on a '74 2wd Custom Deluxe 10 that measured almost 56". when I took them off the truck, they measured closer to the 52". and I also noticed the centerpin was offset when i thought it was centered.

Any help here?
    -Rob

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.apptechnc.net/~gorrellrw/rodeo>1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo</a>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: help identifying the 56\" springs

52" springs have a centered (or close to it) center pin. 56" springs add all the length to the rear half of the spring so the center pin is much closer to the front.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

Oh okay, i guess i had it reversed. So 52" springs have the centered centerpins and 56" ones have the centerpin offset by ~4".
    Thanks

-Rob

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.apptechnc.net/~gorrellrw/rodeo>1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo</a>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You got it close. The 56" springs have the pin 2" off center. So, the pin to front eye is 26", and the pin to rear eye is 30". And the springs are measured along the main leaf, not straight between the eyes.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.