Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! I'm an idiot and my 6.2 Diesel cylinder heads are giving me grief!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Feb 26, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so like the title says, i'm an idiot. apparently i didn't remember real well how i took my engine apart. so i installed my heads before i put my lifters in, so it was a real PITA tonite having to use my little grabber tool to get them all into place thru the cylinder head. i got everything into place though, and got the lifter retainers on and the push rods/rocker arm assemblies all on the head (only did one side thus far). but i didn't tighten anything down because i'm having reservations. so here's my questions:

1. How are the lifter retainers held to the engine? certainly they don't just sit there. there's a small hole in the middle of the retainer between the two larger holes which go around the lifters - does a bolt go into the block from there or something? if so, then i might have a bigger problem than i had thought.

2. when i installed the heads, i followed the instructions perfectly: step-torque up to the proper spec and then add another 1/4 turn. one head is more tight than the other. is that ok?

3. if i need to remove the heads to bolt down the lifter retainers, can the head bolts be reused? i sure hope so, because they are like 50 bux for a set! I know you have to replace them when you rebuild it, but i'm hoping i didn't just get myself messed up. also, if i remove the heads, will the gaskets be reinstallable?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of lifters are you running? It sounds like you've got rollers, and you are talking about the dogbone shaped pieces that keep each pair of lifters oriented with each other. If so, there is a big spring metal piece that bolts to the center of the lifter valley (sometimes called a "spider) that puts pressure on the lifter "keepers". (dogbones)

Number 2 doesn't make sense to me. Are you talking about rocker arm preload or head bolts, or?

3, I'd re-use them. With head bolts I'll guarantee that some believe new every time. If you've got good ones that are new (and it sounds like it) don't worry about it. If you pull the heads, it's up to you to re-use the gaskets. I have before on a motor that I did not fire up, and they worked fine, but you are taking a chance at premature gasket failure.

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

You lost me on #2 why would you take anything 1/4 turn past torque spec? Unless you are talking about adjusting your valve lash..:doah:

Anyways on #3, yes you can reuse your head bolts. But this depends on their condition and what you are building. If you went from stock motor and build up a high compression engine, I would definately buy new. If you are rebuilding stock or adding mild upgrade, then re-use.

If reusing, always have clean bolts and never torque without lube/oil. Take a wire wheel to them and clean up the threads real good. Throw them in a coffe can with clean motor oil, swirl them around and coat them. Then take them out and place into your heads. Follow torque specs.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

It sounds like those are torque to yeild head bolts, generaly they are a one time use bolt.
    I tried to reuse a new set and snapped off two when I retorqued them.

5. colbystephens

i am running roller lifters - my engine is a 6.2 diesel, and that's the stock lifter. it was so long ago that i disesembled my engine that i really don't remember dealing with "a big spring metal piece that bolts to the center of the lifter valley." can you explain that to me more? if you have a picture of that, it would probably help me. what are the chances that i could install that with the cylinder head on? i've been able to install everything else with it on, but i'm just not sure how to retain the keepers.

any other comments about the head bolts - anything more uplifting? :)

Thanks for the help, guys.

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Sounds like Felpro Torque to yield head bolts. Buy new especially on a Diesel. For a few more bux you could've had ARP and used them over and over.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know nothing of the internals of the 6.2 diesels, sorry. 5.7 diesel and the later gas chev motors all used that lifter "spider", but you are going to have to wait for a 6.2 person to step up and say how the lifters are retained. I suspect the same as all the others, but I can't guarantee it.

Are they really torque to yield bolts?? If that's really what they are, yes, don't re-use them. I was expecting that you bought ARP's, in which case you could re-use them no problem.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Bolts; what brand/ where bought?
    Manual; which book?
    Gaskets; risk/compression too high not to replace.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Colby, you'll get more veiws here in the garage, but you'll probably get a definitive answer faster in the diesel forum...

Rene

10. colbystephens

ok rene - i'll copy and paste. :) you got any input?

bolts: Felpro
    manual: haynes and the instructions which came with the bolts.

so it seems i may have shot myself in the foot if i can't figure out how to attatch those retainers with the heads still on. if it's just a bolt, i think it might be possible. might be hell tho with all the universal joints i'll have to use. :)

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Sorry, if Felpro says once, thats it.
    What year is this thing? I've got factory parts and repair manuals that may cover, and I think i've got the scan/upload drill wired.

12. colbystephens

it's an 83 6.2 diesel. i think i have all the info i need, but feel free to post up and we'll see if there's stuff there i don't have! thanks!