Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! I'm an idiot and my cylinder heads are giving me grief!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Feb 26, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so like the title says, i'm an idiot. apparently i didn't remember real well how i took my engine apart. so i installed my heads before i put my lifters in, so it was a real PITA tonite having to use my little grabber tool to get them all into place thru the cylinder head. i got everything into place though, and got the lifter retainers on and the push rods/rocker arm assemblies all on the head (only did one side thus far). but i didn't tighten anything down because i'm having reservations. so here's my questions:

1. How are the lifter retainers held to the engine? certainly they don't just sit there. there's a small hole in the middle of the retainer between the two larger holes which go around the lifters - does a bolt go into the block from there or something? if so, then i might have a bigger problem than i had thought.

2. when i installed the heads, i followed the instructions perfectly: step-torque up to the proper spec and then add another 1/4 turn. one head is more tight than the other. is that ok?

3. if i need to remove the heads to bolt down the lifter retainers, can the head bolts be reused? i sure hope so, because they are like 50 bux for a set! I know you have to replace them when you rebuild it, but i'm hoping i didn't just get myself messed up. also, if i remove the heads, will the gaskets be reinstallable?

Thanks!!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I will answer what I know:
    The TTY bolts I believe are not reusable.
    The gasket however if you just torqued it down but didn't run the engine should be fine.
    I think you should be fine though by what you did with the lifters, don't take the heads off.

3. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont think tty bolts are reusable either.

4. colbystephens

anyone got any tips on how the lifter keepers are retained?

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Was thinking about it. i think you need to buy new head bolts because they are only ment for one time use. Somthing to do with how the strech. When i took my heads off there was a plate that went over the two liftters with a bolt in the middle. That was a long time ago. thats what i remamber i might be able to get a pic for you if you want of it.

6. colbystephens

yeah, i know the head bolts are a one time use b/c of the stretch factor. i'm not too certain where the bolts are which hold my lifter retainers down. so here's what i've decided to do: i've got a good friend (on here he's known as n8brown) who has a k5 with a tired 6.2 and a second 6.2 engine which he wants to rebuild like i'm doing. so i'm going go over to his place and take apart the top end of his engine this week and nab the bolts i need to hold those retainers. then i'm going to attempt to get those bolts in using many universal joints. :) i think it will give me hell, but i think it might be able to get it. better than respending 100 bux. if it comes down to it, i'll just have to buy new parts. it's part of learning, i guess.

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is one bolt for each lifter retainer plate. You should be able to bolt them in just fine... people do replace the lifters without removing the heads, but it's a real pain to do. Getting the lifters and retainer plates in is the hardest part, so you're almost done.

I wouldn't remove the heads again since you've got it all bolted down. However, if you did remove the heads, I'd replace the gaskets and bolts. It's very critical to get a good seal on the 6.2L engines.....not worth taking a chance.

Casey

8. colbystephens

arveetek - i'm glad you posted up. :) i was hoping you would. i appreciate the info. i haven't removed my heads yet, so it's encouraging to hear that it can be done. sometimes it's frustrating to try to visualize what people are saying b/c my engine is about 20 minutes away from me and my project truck is an hour away. :( i live in a 330 sq ft apt. :D anyway, thanks for the reply. i'm glad it can be done.

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I know it isn't right, and I certainly wouldn't do it to my 6.2 unless I had to: but I can tell you for certain than there are alot of CUCVs and HMMWVs running around with reused head bolts. I've never personally seen a 6.2 head bolt break and head gasket failures are somewhat uncommon (compared other diesels - I've seen more failures on 250 Cummins :eek1: ).

But like I said I wouldn't do it to mine, I don't need anymore practice :haha:

10. colbystephens

so i was able to install everything today without a hitch. having a grabber tool is what really saved it for me. :) i didn't have to take apart my heads, so no need to replace head gaskets nor the bolts! thanks all.