Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP, I'm burning Fusible links......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

OK, I've installed a CS144 (140amp) Alt from a 94 Buick Roadmaster and she was working like a champ. Then I started to slip and burn belts when I would put a load on the system. I installed the Windstar fans Sunday afternoon and she will completely throw the belt off. I got a new belt and tightened it up and no more slipping but there is a fusible link on the fire wall near the passenger side of the master cylinder that comes up from the main harness and two wires become one with a fusible link attaching it to what almost looks like a circuit breaker. Now that the belt is tight when I cut the fans on yesterday the fusible link started to melt the insulation and started glowing red. Come to find out I have a bad regulator in the alternator (16.7 volts at idle) but my question is, What is that fusible link connected to? I have looked through all the wiring diagrams that I could find and I can't find anything on this. Somebody please help me figure out whats going on.

I have the fans all grounded and circuit breakerd and relayed, I'm am stumped. Thanks for any info.

2. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Help

Bueller.............Bueller..............

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The fusible link should come off the + battery post to a junction on the side of the fender. From there I believe it provides the power for most of your electical system - but not the starter. If it is burning, you have a short somewhere.

I burnt mine and after putting in my second or third replacement I watched my entire engine side wiring harness go up in smoke - not good!

Find your problem before a big problem occurs. Mine turned out to be a short on the battery cable.