Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Im Trying to fix a Heeep- Stranded

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

First The good news: I don't own one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Now the bad news: My friend does, and she called me up at 1 in the morning cause she went to go make a u-turn, and the truck no longer has reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I go over there, and sure enough, no reverse. It seems like the transmission is going into reverse, but there is no power being delivered to the wheels. My thought is, "transfer case". So even trying to shift the transfer case level, I ended up busting a nuckle, and destroying part of the dash as I finally mangled it into 4L. Neutral no longer seems to be avaliable on the transfer case. The truck is relatively flat, and I can't push it even an inch.

Once I was able to put it into 4L, I put the heep into reverse. Started making some terrible grinding noises, then stalled. Pushed it back to 4H, no good, still no movement.

This is a 94 or 95 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, with the v8, and the full time 4wd transfer case.

HELpPpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!

Here's my questions:
    Could the transfer case be the source of the problem? The truck still goes in forward. Its just now stuck against a wall.But that leads me to believe its a transmission issue.

Could it be something silly like the transmission electronic controls are doing something wacky? Should I pull the battery to see if it resets it self?

but even if it does, why would there be that terrible grinding noise? And why would the transfer case be so hard to shift?

Assuming I need to get it towed, or towed myself... If the transfer case is shot, is the best way to tow it... to use a tow dolly and remove the rear drive shaft? or Use a full trailer?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i would say try resetting the comp. After that mabe check the tranny fluid /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    well the cheapest way would be just to pull the drive shaft, the eiaiest would probly be the dolly.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well i had a similer experience with stupid chrysler T-case shifting, yes it is hard to put it in 4lo with the engine running, turn the truck off, then put the trans in N shift into 4 lo, then turn it back on again and slam it in D or R, the terrible grinding noise is from an incomplete shift, just anough contact to grind it. and it sounds like it wants to do it, but cant, or the trans has gone kamikazee style and dosnt want to work anymore, check the fluid, check everything, i dont think its electronic related, but check over eveything you can. good luck on that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

tranny fluid is a little bit burnt it seems. It certainly aint to my liking as far as tranny fluid goes, but maybe thats just how dextron smells.

Certainly gonna be hard to flat tow though, damn thing doesnt have any hard points....

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Claymore, the ulitmate Heep repair kit

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the t-case had a bad day. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I belive the Grands with v8s have a vicous-coupling in the t-case, but it may have a plantary gear set in place of that, which may be the issue. If you do tow it make sure all the wheels are off the ground or you pull both driveshafts. It may have broken apart internally, as you said at one point it died. You may not be able to even move it unless you pull the driveshafts.
    Let us know what happened. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif