Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help in need of flex

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sean'schevy, Aug 19, 2004.

1. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

Ok im trying to get more flex out of my chevy pickup. my susp. now up front is 12" front superlift springs and a zero rate with hill extended shackle. in the rear i have a 8 inch spring 3 or 4 inch block and ORD shackle reversal.(and a 3inch body)(This is superlift swamp runner kit.) I used to run mud but now all local stuff is closing up so i figure i will go towards rockcrawling (up in pargon PA). My idea for more flex is in front 52 spring with 6 inch lift which should be about 10 inches in height and keep the zero rate. and in the rear take out the rear blockand add revolvers in future. How does all this sound. will it give me enough flex to have some fun. I see most guys are going to 52s up front but stock springs. will this swap be worth wild and whats the best spring to buy for the front. BDS, TC or... thanks

pic of my truck

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Come down to a 4" lift, or do the 52s or 56s in front.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's running 44's... I'd like to see that work with a 4" lift. You need at least 6" of suspension and maybe some body lift to clear them. Ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. sean'schevy

yes i am running 44s and do have a 3 inch body. So am i thinking right about the 6 inch front 52s. i willing to do some cutting.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's running 44's... I'd like to see that work with a 4" lift. You need at least 6" of suspension and maybe some body lift to clear them. Ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Move your axle forward.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

dont use the revolver shackle... there has been some posts about it before saying that on hill climbs or steep grades it can unload causing you to roll.

Sounds like your doing something simular to me... I will have around 6" of lift with 42-44" tires... 1" body, 52's up front, 56's out back.. etc.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Move your axle forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm moving it foreward 1.5" with a zero rate on top of the 6" BDS springs and ORD shackles. My plan for the front was ford 57's but I hit the steering box, firewall and radiator support enough without any more flex. For the rear I'm running 63's with an extended shackle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well I've got news for you.

6" springs and the axle moved forward 1.5" isn't going to clear 44s.

You're going to have to move it forward more than that.

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

trimmm

if u dont wana cut ur rig that much but you still want some crazy flex, you could always do coilovers up front and maby a long flexy spring in the rear.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hopefully Jerry(JK5) will see this post.. He is running around a 6" lift right now and 44's... Not sure if the front axle is moved forward at all or not..... It can be done! He did do some fender cutting.

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No...he doesn't want to do that..
    then he won't have good clearence at the core support..

To run 44's..
    I cut off the rear half...of the inner wheel..
    to expose the firewall..
    then I did some hammering...
    Then I cut the wheel openning on the fender to the body line...

13. sean'schevy

ok well after listening to u guys and talking to a few frinds im going to just get my front drive shaft that i need and see what i can and cant do with this setup for a while.(get some use out of it).ill live with it for a while untill i save enough to go all out with coilovers. The truck got to come off the road soon anyways(cops dont like it too much in NJ) so might as well make it a killer rig. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Coilovers aren't really the answer for a fullsize, full bodied machine either. I have pondered the idea for the rear but I'm definitely not going to put coils in the front of my truck.

15. sean'schevy

hmm look like i going to have to do some research and see what works and what dont the best. My one friend in school for mech engineering wonder what he can come up with.

16. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No...he doesn't want to do that..
    then he won't have good clearence at the core support..

To run 44's..
    I cut off the rear half...of the inner wheel..
    to expose the firewall..
    then I did some hammering...
    Then I cut the wheel openning on the fender to the body line...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm searching for some 52's to put up front. Maybe a 2" to 4" lifted set. I'm going to move the axle foreward about 1" from stock and I have already done the fender hack like Steve's rig (coloradok5) The core support is next to go under the knife.
    I've also got to tub the rear end to clear the tires when they move with the 63's, having an extended shackle and great shackle angle lets these springs move a LOT! I don't think I'll have more than 7"-8" of lift when I'm done. I've got about 6.5" up front and 7.5" in the back with this setup. I'm trying to stay as low as possible. My main problem right now is actually hitting the steering box when I turn and stuff. (even though this is just driveway wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Trucknutzdude,

I picked up my 63s today. Got any pics of your mounts that you're using? Are your 63s stock ride height? If so, how did you get 7-8" of lift with them?

I only want about 4" of lift, but I'm going to use bumpstops to control uptravel. I'm more interested in the crazy downtravel that hte long springs can provide.

18. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Trucknutzdude,

I picked up my 63s today. Got any pics of your mounts that you're using? Are your 63s stock ride height? If so, how did you get 7-8" of lift with them?

I only want about 4" of lift, but I'm going to use bumpstops to control uptravel. I'm more interested in the crazy downtravel that hte long springs can provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some pictures but they will need to be scanned. I only moved my front mount about 3" foreward (moving the rear axle back 3") I moved the rear hanger back about 2" front stock and used a front hanger for a home made flip, I also added belltech lowering shackles. For the extra lift I used a 2" block. The springs are stock 2wd ones (3 leaf plus overload) They are maxxed out with the weight of a blazer on them so they flattened out a lot. You'll get about 4-5" of lift without a block. You will need a longer shackle to let the springs move as much as they want to, but you wanted to do that anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

after i flipped the overload on the 2wd 63" pack, i got no lift, mighta even lost an inch

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think I'm likely going to remove the overload completely from my 63s when I install them.

The long shackles are a given, the spring mount was exactly what I had in mind for a homebrew shackle flip and selling off my echobit brackets.