Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help in So Cal w/shops, rates for new drive shaft, and salvage yards

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RodsRVF, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RodsRVF

RodsRVF Registered Member

I have an 88 K5 with manual 3 speed + L, 6" lift and 35" tires that I bought a few months ago. The rear end just died because the wrong size drive shaft so I have bought a 14 FF from a salvage yard to replace it. The yoke at the transfer case has play so something needs to be done there too. I can put the axle in but thought I might let a local shop install/make the driveshaft to make sure that was all done right. 4 wheel parts in riverside quoted me $850 if I stay with a yoke setup (but they do not recommend it because down the road I will have problems) or $1800 for everything to do it "right" and eliminate the yoke and all the rest of the good parts to go along with it. I want a good running truck and plan down the road to put in around a 300 HP motor in it. This is used for hunting/camping trips and will not be used for rock climbing.

Here are my questions:

I would like to hear any ideas of what driveshaft style I should do.

Are there are any good shops I should take it to or if this is just what I should expect to pay.

Also are there any good salvage yards around so cal for an 8 lug front axle? I know I can convert the one I have to 8 lug but my new rear axle has 4.10 gears and the front does not so I though it might just be cheaper to find one complete than doing all the work to mine. All the yards I have been calling say they don't carry 4x4 parts or if they do not ones that old. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,
    Rod

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't let 4 Wheel Parts touch my truck if they paided me too. They are crooked as hell for the most part and will put it to you ever chance they get.

$850 is robbery on a driveshaft. You can get a High Angle Driveline for alot less then that and you will have the best driveline on the market. HAD is a great shop and supplies alot of the hardcore rockcrawlers and truck like that.

I would call Jesse at High angle and talk with him. I would be he can get you a new slipyoke style CV driveshaft for about $500. It will be better then any driveshaft 4WP could supply.

If you are not going to rockcrawl the truck or have a super flexy suspension I would just run your current slipyoke setup with a CV joint for more angularity and driveshaft movement. A Slipyoke Eliminator Kit is nice if you want to spend the money but I don't think it is necessary.

I don't know what kind of "play" is in the yoke but the worst you could do is get the transfer case rebuilt and get a CV slipyoke driveshaft. You will be well under the $1800 mark 4WP is trying to stick you with and it will be done "right".

You will have a bulletproof driveshaft and a good case. You can't really ask for much more.

Harley

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

There was a 4x4/truck salvage yard in Ontario. I can't remember the name of the place, but I got a front diff for my S10 there a few years back. They had all kinds of trucks in the yard.

4. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

It is still there (well was there 6 months ago). It's on Miliken Ave, just north of Mission Blvd. Take the 15 fwy north get off at Jurupa Ave, go west to Miliken and turn south. it's about a mile down the road. There's also a big Pick-A-Part on Miliken. I think the name of the 4x4 yard is Scotties, but I could be wrong.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I may have a d-shaft that will work for your truck, shoot me an email at zcarczar@gmail.com

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Yah, I think it is Scotties. I practically grew up in that Pick-a-Part on Miliken.