Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help in SoCal Area

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Im having trouble getting my 73 K5 to run properly I dont know what the deal is im going to work on it tommorow but im not sure if it is gonna get me anywhere.

Since I bought it a few months ago I have replaced sooo many things and it has given me so much trouble, I think that it is a timing\distributor area problem.

I tried redropping the dist 4 times already and its starting to aggravate me Im pretty sure its on TDC my rotor is pointing to the #1 SP wire and i get nothing it did run before but now it doesnt even come close to starting tries to when you put the peddle to the floor and turn the distributor like crazy if any anyone could give me a hand at this that is in the souther cali area corona,upland,rialto,ontario areas or nearby let me know I could sure use it.

I live in an apartment complex and limited on tools but i have some that i can improvise with which makes it kind of a pita all my tools are back in PA in my box along with my extra parts and stuff

Im moving to Pennsylvania at the end of the month and have to ship it because of its lack of reliability and gas prices. Sorry about the long ramble.
    maybe we could work something out.

Replaced
    Fuel Pump
    Tranny
    Fuel Filter
    Dist Cap\Rotor\Coil
    Wires\Plugs
    Tranny Lines
    Readjusted Carb

2. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Well today I worked on it and almost burned my face off... big fireball through the carb :eek1: its getting spark just not firing up.
    I put my finger over the spark plug hole and had my wife blip it until it blew my finger away so it should have been tdc when when i dropped the distributor in with the rotor facing the number one wire. any help i meen any would be great im about to push this stupid thing off of a cliff the only problem is getting it to one :D thanks in advance

3. barneybirddog

barneybirddog Registered Member

Sound familiar

I had the same problem on an engine I pulled out of an 84. I jacked with it for 3 days and finally recruited the help on an old farmer that lived down the road from me. This process took him 5 minutes and it fired right up.
    Find TDC
    take off the distributor cap and rotor button
    you can turn the distributor real slow until you see the "points" (whatever you call them) move. What I mean is you will see the points kind of jump a little bit. once this happens stop turning. This will all make sense when you see it.
    at this point go ahead and start putting everything back together and make sure you get the firing order right. This should put you somewhere in the ballpark enough to get a timing light on it. Let me know if it doesn't work. I might have missed a step

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Where do you live? Try posting on my clubs website, we are spread all through out So Cal, www.scbd.org

Edit: I geuss I should read better, I saw that your in corona area, but definately try posting up on the club website.

5. barneybirddog

Help in SoCal

Actually I live in Wichita Kansas. So did that work for you?

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

no i wasnt sure what you ment but i tried it with no luck at all i tried a different method and that didnt seem to work either
    Here is the deal... I removed my Distributor no reference marks or anything so i began to put it back on the way i did it was

aligned the timing mark to 0 mark dropped the distributor in so the rotor is pointing to the number one spark plug wire so its all good i thought i went to turn it over got nothing tried wiggling it around while starting got nothing
    put it on 0 degrees again took the cap off and it was pointing to the firewall so i rotated the crank 360* and it was pointing to where it should be then i tested for spark i am getting spark so wtf is the mf problem!!! help

the firing order i got from the book says the hei firing order and i have that right

i might take offers for a 73 k5 with top all guages work has a new tranny and carb make me an offer

7. barneybirddog

Help in SoCal

Okay I'll try to do a better job explaining this time
    Roll up to #1
    Turn the distributor clockwise or to the rear like you are setting it regularly
    Now take off the cap and rotor
    Slowly, I repeat slowly turn the distributor counter clockwise and watch the points
    As you move the distributor you'll see the points jump ahead of the distributor just a little
    That is where you want to tighten it down just a little so that it doesn't move when you put everything back together.
    When you put the rotor back on make sure it's point to the front other wise #1 is going to be at the back
    You have to remember where the rotor is pointing so that you get #1 on the right plug
    It's kind of touch and go here but if it's not working then try moving your wires ahead or back 1 spot
    It's simple once you do it but hard to explain without any pictures you know. Just keep messing with it you'll get it. That's the best I can do, I don't know what to do if that doesn't work. Good Luck
    BARNEY

8. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks a lot ill try that and see if that doesnt fix things ill give it a try next weekend dont have much time to work on it because of work and no place with decent lights.