Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Installed front axle and.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jwduke, Nov 15, 2003.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Well I finally installed my 3/4T axle & got things a running. Well I took it out for a test drive, got home & found out the front pinion seal leaking like a sive. I installed a new pinion seal, but upon tightening the nut up I noticed I have around a inch of play! (How tight should the pinion nut be, I don't own a beam type torque wrench, just a digital/clicker type) Is this normal?? Plus the grease in the front axle is now brown. This axle sat for a while, & I thought I cleaned the inside good. Should I drain the grease and try it again or ?????

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not sure on the torque of that pinion nut, but any play at all is bad!!! You need an inch pound torque wrench too properly set the pinion preload. As far as the fluid (is that what you mean by grease) maybe you could drain and fill it again it shouldn't get dirty that fast. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

The fluid (Grease) is a rust brown color, so I guess i'll drain that & start over. Well guess as far as the end play, i'll have to live with it till I can afford a D60! It doesn't make any noise under power, which I guess is good........

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

you're not driving it with an inch of play I hope /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Don't have much choice........