Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!Installing Front Glass

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Mar 13, 2003.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok, I had my glass taken out before I got the truck painted, it came out fine with no cracks...get the truck home and call the guy to come out and put the glass back in. First off the glass they took out now has a crack in it...ok new glass time...they leave and come back with new glass and install it, i come home and check it out and it's cracked all over...call him up and he says his driver would be back out to put another Glass in. They showed up this morning and are still there...hope they get it in.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Installing Front Glass

How did things turn out with the paint shop?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

What if I buy the standard seal without the lock strip?
    Is that better than using a rope in the gasket to pull the window and seal in at the same time. I did it that way a long time ago on a toyota and it worked really slick.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

the paint came out great...but the glass still isn't in right, they have to try with a new gasket...

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

while we are on the topic..how much does it usually cost to have a placee do it? of course my insurance would probobly cover it anyhow..i would like to use one from one of the blazers i got here...but i dunno how to take it out..and i would have to have them put it in..kind of a pain in the butt..or is it easy enough that i could just do it? my neighbor said he had tools to do it with so..but i was just wondering...but i gatta do it quick..cuase its time for a new sticker...

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

anyone change the front glass on first gen...guys are still trying to install the damn thing... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

That must be the problem... Mine is a second gen and the glass on these just pop in and out! Sorry they're having such a problem! You would think they'd done this before????

9. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone change the front glass on first gen...guys are still trying to install the damn thing... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First Gen's SUCK for w/s replacement. I can understand the problems but they should be able to get it in.Aftermarket gaskets are mainly the problem, they don't fit right and they look like poo. If you have the chromes still good luck, I doubt they will get it right. I dispise doing those, and so does everyone else in my shop.
    GOOD LUCK!

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

coulkd you tell me how to switch windows? i want to switch the windshelds from my blazer ot my truck...

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

you got it...not putting the chrome gasket in as the guy said it was harder to do...they still haven't got it in and there on there second gasket... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

OK...they were here today for another 3-1/2 hours and it's in... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...
    kinda of unfinished in the top inside corners but if it doesn't pop out by morning then I will take it...

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Did they use the "rope" method for installation? You know put like a 3/8 diameter rope in the groove, to spread it, and slip it in that way?
    When Safe Lite, came out and did mine, they had it in and gone in around 45 minute's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

yep, they used the rope but must of been a long time since they put a real truck glass in... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif