Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP, INSTALLING IN DOOR

Discussion in 'Audio' started by XHitman396, Jun 1, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

got some 5 1/4 sony's to take the place of the 3 1/2's, but gotta put em in the door, well some stereo smart friends said it may not sound good at all, since its bowed and has like a dip in it, its an 87 blazer, has power windows, does this sound good? any rattling? how do i fill the gaps? where to i cut out to avoid the power window motor?thx

Brett

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Once you get the old speaker out, you should be able to pek inside the door to see where the obstructions are......be sure to roll the window up and down while you watch what's happening. Sometimes, stuff that's NOT in the way suddenly gets in the way as the mechanisms move around!

It sounds like the mounting surface is not FLAT? If that's the case, I know you can get this stuff we used to call "Gorilla Snot"....which is a rope-like sealing putty. Probably like the stuff they sometimes use around hoses that go through the firewall. Just put it on the back of the speaker frame before you put it up to the hole and it will help to seal the gaps (within reason of course). It's kind of a "quick adn dirty" fix, but it will sound a lot better if the speaker frame is sealed, and there should be less rattles too.

3. XHitman396

there currently is not a speaker in the doors, we're cuttn a hole for em, we're just gonna disconnect the ones in the dash, and these are considerable gaps, like an inch or so, will this gorilla snot fix that big of a gap?

Brett

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If the gaps are that large you may want to try cutting out some spacers out of either MDF or plastic to approximate the shape of the panel better first. THEN you can use the gorilla snot to seal up the MINOR gaps afterwards.

5. XHitman396

ok, i know that people have done this, but i dunno y no one is responding, does this sound good, or is it kinda low quality or really rattly?

Brett

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've seen some people mount 6x9 boxes on the lower door panels. I thought about doing that till I can get the Q-form kick panels.

7. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but if it was my truck, I would just buy some new 3 1/2" speakers for the dash and leave the doors alone. Then what you can do is mount whatever size speakers you want (6x9 or 6 1/2's work well) in the front half of the side panels next to the back seat. Like where the ashtrays are now, you know? Bringing the speakers up from out of the cargo area does wonders for the sound and you only have to cut vinyl covered carboard - not metal door lowers.

8. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I have already done this project and it can be done, but its not to hard, but its kinda a tight fit. My friends K5 has them in the door so I assumed it was going to be easy and that there would be no obstruction. However, when I started to cut, I soon discovered I was wrong. You will have a better time with 5 1/4s though, I did it with 6"s. I put mine in the lower door panel where its carpeted, all the way in the front section of the door. It was a verry close fit in this area between the power window motor and the front of the door where the inside door is braced. I ended up cutting into the door brace just slighly to make it fit. You should have less of this problem with 5 1/4s though. Anywho, After I went through all this trouble and finaly got mine to work I looked closer at my friends Blazer to see how his were fit. (His blazer had them when he baught it). When I look at his i was perplexed becuase his were right where the power window motor would be. So I took the screws out and pulled the speacker and found out what they did was cut through the sheet metal giving them some clearance, then Between the carpeting and the backer board to it they put some stuffing wich pushed the speaker otu enough to clear the magnet. The thing is you hardly notice the carpet is puffed out at all. It looks great. Better than mine. I am assuming it was profesionaly installed. I like the way mine sound, but I am sure they could sound better if I seal them off beter. However, mine are sealed pretty good and hears how. I was concerned about water running through the door when it rained becuase these dorres arnt exaclty wtare tight. So after the hole was cut. I took a thick plastic bag and dunct taped it in just right to provide a water tight seal and a farly ait tight seal. If I had it to do over again I would have done 1 of 2 things. I would have either done it like my freinds and put it over the power window motor by adding stuffing inside the carpet as was metioned above. Or I would have done it like UseYourBlinker did it. (I think it was him) He put them up on the plastic section of the door panal where that vinyl pocket is. I dont know exactly how he did it. But I will look for the pic and post it hear for you to see. Then you can PM him if your interested in figuring out how he did it. Also, I rambled a lot so if anything i said didnt make sence just ask me and perhaps i could beter explain it for ya.
    Ike

9. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

10. k5wantabe

k5wantabe Registered Member

I too started to put my 6.5s in the door. Saw all the pics and read where to put them. Found the same problem with the motor in the way and the extra bracing at the corner. So didn't cut the hole in the door. Repaired the carpeted panel and found the Q-forms on ebay for $120 plus 15 shipping! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Thought that everyone might like to know that they are available for that price. Go to ebay and do a search for q-forms. Its a dutch auction and he reruns it as soon as it ends.

11. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

I have a set of the q-forms. I work at Circuit City so I got them cheaper, but I will say one thing. Don't get your hopes up. I was dissapointed at the color match/fit. I know I can repaint them, but that's why I ordered red. So I wouldn't have to. Also the holes didn't line up very well, which led me to make new ones. They do sound very good though. I got a set of Infinity Components in them and I am very happy with the sound quality. I wish they fit a little better though.

12. bigbear8

bigbear8 Registered Member

The best place to put them is in the carpeted area on the botton of the door toward the front of the door. In my rig i was able to put in 6x9's without a problem. the only thing is that you have to cut out a hole for them, and then you have to seal them from water, Behind mine i have things that look like foam bouls ( they call them Waterproof Foam Baffles) that i ordered from crutchfield for like 8-9 dollars. The speakers sound great, there was plenty of room
    and the most difficult thing was drilling the hole in the door for the wire to go through ( no power windows or locks) , the only thing is on the drivers side door it rattles because of the rust hole on the bottom of the door, and the passenger door doesnt rattle unless its a song with heavy bass, or its realy realy loud. but i mostly listen to country so rattling is not a problem.
    Hope this helps