Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! is my cam roller or normal lifters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Apr 9, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

Broke a bolt on my intake today putting in a thermostat and some moron put the wrong loctite on the bolts so the one bolt i took out actually pulled the threads out with it. so i got pissed and am putting a performer intake and cam in it just to do it RIGHT. heheh. i have an 87 tbi 350 and need to know if its a roller so i can order the right cam. i need to order by midnight so it will be here tuesday. also, any installation/breakin tips.
    thanks
    camokrawler

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

uhm, pull your intake. no way to really tell what you've got under the hood. in the last 20 years, ANYTHING could've been swapped in there. with a broken intake bolt, the truck should be down anyways, just pull it and find out for yourself.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good point, are you talking about an Edelbrock performer cam? please tell me no...

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've got a comp cams extreme 4x4 cam in my jimmy with a performer intake and it seems to be a pretty good setup. Everyone has their own opinions though.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Be sure to get a cam that is computer friendly.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If the intake is off, you can tell by the following.

1. if there is a metal "Spider" like tray in the middle (you will know if you see it) then it is a roller cam.

2. if it is just your lifters and pushrods, nothing else, then its a flat tappet.

87 up truck blocks have provisions from the factory for roller cams, just didnt get the equipment.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I've had no problem with mine, but I assume other have had dissimilar experiences.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

while there are no "problems" with the Edelbrock line of cams, 99% of them are ancient grinds. granted, their $120 pricetag for a cam and lifter set is pretty tempting, add a little more to it, and get a more updated grind. the Comp XE 4x4 series are supposed to be really good.