Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Issue with my air compressor and not enough juice to run it...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 23, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... I have an issue... I bought an air compressor... it's a 7hp peak 60 gallon Husky (Campbell Hausfeld)... says it runs on 240v (minimum 230v)... has big stickers saying warning do not run below 230v. My issue is I was a retard and didn't read and bought this thing and duh... my garage is only 220v. I am having my garage rewired with 220v but newer wire because this stuff is old in there now and I think there's a short. My friends husband who is an electrican who is doing this said if I wanted to run I'd have to upgrade my box it cannot handle this thing. That's big bucks I don't have... but if I return this thing I have to pay for them to pick it, pay for the delivery of another one and then a restocking fee... that adds up to $140!! No way!! I was talking to Sara (SarazK5) and her boyfriend has a 240v compressor and he changed the plug to a 220v one and he runs it now fine... my question is can I do this? If I can I am for it... saves me time and money not to mention frustration!! Anyone know about this... any advice? I want to try it if it works... I'm just scared it will fry it and then not only can't I sell it but I couldn't return it... thanks!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fred is an electrical genius (Derf00) maybe send him a pm...

Rene

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be cheaper to swap over to the new wiring, won't it?

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Make sure it is not 3 phase. If it is you are outta luck..A lot of the bigger ones are 3 phase...

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Different Fred here, but I want to learn something about this....

What happens when you try to run it? Just curious. My compressor motor I have runs 110/240 depending on how you wire it. I'm running on 110 right now, and it will stall out if I plug it into the garage outlet (GFCI with 14 Ga. wire = yuk), I have to plug it into the washer outlet to get it to run good (dedicated 20 amp breaker, #12 wire to it). I haven't had time to wire in a 220V 50A dedicated outlet yet

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Nothing happens... the wiring is not hooked up because I am having the garage rewired for 220v...the stuff in there now is old and I think the amps are not enough... I wanna get a 40amp put in which will be done soon... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

220-240 volt is all the same. Just make sure you have matching plugs(male&female) and you won't have any problems.

8. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

If it was all the same they wouldn't sell transformers, Just a little experience i had, at my old job, we had a couple compressors, well we ran them on 208 even though they said 230, and we were replacing them under warrenty every three to four months, the motors kept frying, any way go to grainger.com or an industrial supply place, and look in the compressor section, you should be able to find a transformer to step up from 208 to 230, or 220-240 or what ever, they make them just for situations like these. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif