Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! it cranks over but will not start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newbe73, Mar 25, 2002.

1. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

ok now, i just fired up my blazer and started to go, then all of a sudden it just died and i can not get it to start . i did not get more the 30 ft befoe it died. i tried to jump it after wasting the battery. and then that did nto work so i put new spark plugs in the thing and then tryed it but sill nothin. i also lifed off my air filter and sprayed some fuler starter [censored] in the carb and still did not work. it cranks over but it does not start , could any of you help me out thanks,if you can it would help me out alot.

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Are you getting a spark? Could be something electrical.

3. newbe73

well i tested one spark by sticking a skrew driver in the the spark plug wire and touching ti to mettle but the spark was not that big it was really small . but then a gen i really do nto know how big the spark should be . any one else know?

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you have 2 options; fuel or electrical. either its not getting gas, or it's not getting spark.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Maybe off the wall but check the fused link on the firewall.and the wires on the alt.on the top..When I got mine (he sold it to me not running)all I had to do to get it running was to put new tighter connections on those 2 wires and put a new fusealbe link in that place on the firewall..mike

6. newbe73

no that is not it i do not think cuz when i did my wiring i just hookked them up togeter and took out the fusibal link

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

When you sprayed the starting fluid, Did it cough and sputter at all? Start then immediatley die? If it did...Then you probably have a fuel problem. If it didn't then most likley, spark/ignition problem. You said you made it 30 feet then it died. Not to insult your intelligence, But it does have gas right? Also check your fuses.

8. newbe73

ya it has 1/2 a tank so that could not be it but when i sprayd that stuff in it did not cough at all , so ya i sapose it would be electrical well i am geting led in the right direction i hope > you guys have any idea what the electrical problum mite be?

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If you tried the starting fluid and it almost started, it's a fuel problem.
    If nothing happened at all then it is more than likely an electrical problem as stated above. You might have a faulty coil. The spark is not that big but can be seen easier in the dark. It should have a strong spark at about a 1/8" gap between the screwdriver and ground. Open the distrbuter cap and check the end of the rotor and inside the cap (clean all contacts carefully). Get back to use with more info. What motor, carb. etc. and what you found.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Check your coil wire. At the distibutor and at the coil. Could have come loose. If you have HEI, check the power wire to the distributor. Once again, make sure ya check your fuses.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Check for fuel first. Do this by turning the motor over some, then checking the plugs to see if they are wet with gas. Also try pouring a LITTLE gas down the carb and see if it will fire....no pun intended. If that's not it, you'll have to troubleshoot the electrical system. It's easy if you start step by step. First is the spark plug. You did that. Then the wires. Then the distributer. Continue until you are certain that you have power where you are supposed to and ground where you are supposed to. Be suspicious of every single connection. Check the timing......make sure it didn't jump time on you.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

CHECK YOUR DISTRIBUTOR I had this same problem, it would run and then die and would not start. I tried everything, and nothing would make it start. It was my ground wire on the coil on my HEI distributor. The connection was corroded and was not grounding all the time. It would run and die on me like in the middle of an intersection and once on the freeway. I got it going again after banging the distributor which must have jarred something.

When I took the distributor apart, the ground wire connection coming off the coil was corroded, cleaned it with sand paper and it has worked ever since. Should probably replace the cap but have not got around to it.