Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help its crooked ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddin_Mavric, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

I just bought my 83 k5 in the fall and it allways looked like the passangers side sat a little low but it didnt seem like it was herting anything so i didnt really mind.

but now i put one some 33x12 dayton timberline MTs on the stock rims and put 2 inch blocks in the rear and added 3 leafs in the front packs so it looks about level maybe a little high in the rear.

and it still looks crooked and the passangers side is the only side that rubs. so i got out the tape measure and from the center of the wheel opening in the front and the rear the drivers side is 1 inch higher and i measured from the front bump stop and the thing it hits where the sway bar hooks up and the drivers side is still 1 inch higher.

One more thing my drivers side front tire seems to stick out that side about 1 to 1.5 inches more than the other side and i cant really tell in the rear cause the tires are in there hidding somewhere.

do you guys have any idea why it sits crooked or how to fix it? get a 3 inch block and more leafs for that side or what? is this a common problem?

thanks for any help you can give me

Justin Behr

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I would say start a visual inspection of everything from the spring perches up. I am sure you already looked at them from doing the lift. Look at them again. One side compared to the other. Then springs, shackles, frame and finally body mounts. sounds like something has collapsed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Install new body mounts. Put on some real lift spring packs from a good manufacturer (tough country is good), that should take care of the problem.

4. Muddin_Mavric

ok ill take a look at every thing in the sup. and measure and compare side to side.

a real lift kit is not an option cause im poor right now. if i put all my money in a big pile i would only have around $150 and i need money for my snowmobile if it ever snows plus what ever else breaks on my blazer.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

snowing here in NW Iowa right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, send some this way...because it sure isn't snowing in Wisconsin. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Freaking January 1st, and no accumulation on the ground /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey chief, where in NW Iowa are you. I'm in Sioux City.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The right rear springs tend to sage faster over time as that is the side that takes most of the torque load. It might just be that.

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Mine sagged on the drivers side pretty bad. The previous owner was a 500# ORCA. I put new springs on the front and "modified" the rear packs. That took care of some of it. I've got new ploy body mounts that should take care of most of the rest. My frames bent a little (LOT) so that's some of it too.

KP

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Switch the springs from left to right and see what happens...its free.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you switch the springs from side to side and it still sits low, it could be the frame.
    I had the same problem on one of my blazers and I took it to a frame shop where they put it on a jig and the scanner compared it to a database for the model and year and came out with an inch higher on the passenger side.
    100 dollars later the frame was put back to original specs.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good advice.

Another thing to do is compare height at both front corners somewhere around the springs. If one *front* spring is bad, but both back ones are good, you'll end up with the rear looking like its sagging on one side too. BTDT.

BTW, don't measure off of the body, measure from the frame to the ground, as body mounts and body panel alignment can vary enough to cause skewed measurements.

Front springs are fairly easy, you can go from the top leaf to the frame with a tape measure, the rears you can kind of measure/eyeball the same way.

13. Muddin_Mavric

well i finally got around to measureing it and i measured off of the bolt in the fixed end of the leafe spring (not the one that goes through the shackel) and in the front the pas. side is .25" low and in the back its .5" low.

i still think it looks more crooked than that.

Justin Behr