Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help... Just sold truck, tranny issues on buyers way home

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys,

I just sold my k5 today. Everything was running great, shifting great, no hard shifts nothing out of the ordinary. The new owner called me and informed me that on his way home about an hour into the drive, he lost third gear. He says reverse, first and second are fine, but it kicks out when trying to shift in third. Any ideas or suggestions on fixing this?? I found a few places online for good, used 700R4's for $350.00. Know of any cheaper let me know. New owners are in Ohio. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks guys.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you were on borrowed time with that tranny, sad to hear that it went on the way to the new owners home.

the only way to fix it is to rebuild it. about $700 for a stock bench rebuild seems normal. ill keep my ear to the ground to see if i can find a good 4x 700r4 cheaper than that $350.

3. jekquistk5

Yeah I guess I was, but It was shifting perfect, driving smooth. It just sucks now I have to loose or drop more money into the truck because I'm a good guy and I do not want to screw anyone, and the truck isn't even mine anymore.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it was shifting perfect when he left. did he drive in D like you were and not OD? how far did he make it?

the morning after i bought my 1/2 ton, i went to drive around and it had no reverse. called the guy, said he knew nothing about it (i did back it out at his shop) and preaty much said I needed to rebuild it. i was pissed, but what could i do.

5. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

This same thing happened to me. About 8 years ago i bought a 79 K5 for $2500 in FT. Worth, TX was about 50 miles from home, had a 400 w/ a th350
    said he rebuilt it about 20k b4 i got it, no receipt (his repatable friend he said built it) on the way home i lost 3rd gear. This guy was rich as hell and was being all cocky about his trans guy who helped him work on it all the time-so i start calling him and he tried to tell me to pound sand-words were exchanged and the next day he called,drove from Ft. Worth with a 5th wheel -paid me all my money and took it back-now that night i thought i was screwed, so we went balls to the walls wheelin that night, and when the guy called saying he was on his wasy-i spent $10 and 2 hours at the carwash cleaning all the mud and gravel off of it

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

See if he will split the cost with you. I think that would be fair to both of you. You can be a jerk and say sorry dude its your problem now. Or (and I don't know the guy he may be the nicest guy in the world) he could be the jerk and say you have to fix it. I don't know what the laws are where you live but in Idaho a private purchase is a done deal once the money and item have been exchanged. I wish you good luck with everything

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

As far as I can tell from this scummy website, both of the states involving you and the buyer have lemon laws. I would suggest AGAINST telling him to pound sand. :deal:

http://www.lemonauto.com/index_g.htm

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Lemon laws dont apply. where did you come into contact with the buyer? honestly, you can tell him to pound sand. i have done it before, someone buys something from me with me telling them x is wrong with it, then they come back later and say that they didnt know. that's why EVERYTHING i sell comes with a bill of sale that specifically states everything is sold as is. if its a friend, or a fellow CK5er, i'd definitely work something out with them.

9. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Could I trouble you to please clarify this remark?

Manny

10. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

Looks to me he is refrenceing thelemon law sita:eek1:

11. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Alright, yeah, I get it...Sorry, I'm not runnin' on all 8 cylinders today...:(

My bad! It's cool.

Manny

12. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:haha:yea...I do not think CK5 is scummy.

And Beater, even if a lemon law won't cover this situation i bet 'ya the buyer could still take him to court. Unless there was a "AS-IS" statement signed....that would pretty much clear the seller of any responsibility.

13. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey I live in Toledo! I sent you a PM I believe we can help each other on your problem.

14. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

HIJACK

well i just bought a 99 burban and it has tons of little things wrong with it.:angry1:
    they dont cover it on there warranty though. I dont know how the lemon law works im going to give it a look though.

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As far as i know and understand the lemon law it is on new vehicles purchases and if the vehicle has to go back for repair on the same item 3 times within the first year then the law applies.

16. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

lemon law is on new vehicles, has to be OUT OF SERVICE for x number of days.... new vehicles...

tell him you're sorry about the situation, but he bought a used truck as-is and offer to split the cost of parts and labor to fix it..

17. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most states have some sort of law on the books that will protect a consumer from buying something that appears good but has something wrong with it. Most of the time these laws only apply to businesses. Once again this is in Idaho but I talked to a lawyer about a vehicle I bought that blew the motor. He said if I didn't pay the guy I bought it from he would have a better chance getting the money from me than me getting anything from him. The lawyer advised me to do everything I could to keep it from going to court.

I think you are doing the right thing wanting to help him out but don't let him take advantage of you. Most poeple are pretty reasonable.

Just as an aside I think its people like you that want to do the right thing or even go the extra mile that make this life of ours a much better place

18. jekquistk5

No big deal guys, Metrodps and I have something worked out. It helps me and him out. Needless to say I'll be the new owner of a 89 jimmy, and the guy I sold the truck to will have a good 700r4. See ya on sunday lawrence and I look forward to meeting you. :thumb:

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

new project for you?

if so, i got a flat top and a crossover arm you might be interested in. :haha:

20. jekquistk5

Hahaha I might me interested... seriously, I have the 2wd box still, just need to find some 52" springs for the front and I'll be set