Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! HELP !!! K5 in Germany is in deep trouble ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CA_TIM, Apr 3, 2002.

1. CA_TIM

CA_TIM Registered Member

I took my 73 K5 "DaBitch" to Germany last year. It is great driving it at the small streets in Germany... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    And now, at easter weekend, I killed its rear differential by pulling my friend out of a deep mud hole.
    It has a GM CORPORATE 12-bolt rear diff (4:11) on it.
    I broke both, the upper and the lower gearwheels (10 teeth).
    What is the right ting to do now?
    What do I have to consider by looking for a replacement?
    What about the semi-blocking diffs???
    Where can I order parts for my "Bitch". I will be back on the streets soon. Summer is coming and it needs some workout... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Any comments welcome.
    I hope somebody can help me...
    Looking for your reply and advice.
    Please help me to keep "DaBitch" going in Germany.
    Please also advice me how to change the diff the easiest way.
    Many thanks.
    Tim

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhhhh Upper an lower gear teeth?.....Are you talking two of the four gears visible in the middle of the carrier (the part the ring gear is on?) If so...not a big deal. Those are the actual differential gears. Some times refered to as the spider gears. There is a shaft that two of the gears ride on. One end will have a bolt that screws through the side of the carrrier that you need to remove. The shaft will then be able to slide out. Now if it's just the gears ride on the shaft that are damaged you will be able to slide them out now. Just need to put in some replacements.
    If the side gears are also damaged just an extra step. With the shaft out remove your wheels and brake drums. Push the axle shaft in. This will allow you to remove the "C-Clip". Then you can pull the shafts back out a couple inches and remove those two gears. Since you will have the shaft loose I would also recomend to replace the oil seals on the axle shafts. If they are old they may start leaking after having the axle shafts pulled out.
    Here localy that's an easy find. Check the For Sale section and see if there are any for sale. Might want to put a wanted post. Post it as "WANTED 12 bolt diff gears". One thing I'm not sure that it will matteri is carrier break. Your axke will have a series 4 carrier. Ahhh should not matter as long as the parts come out of a 12 bolt. That same axle will have been used from 69-81ish. One other thing to watch is if that axle has a G80 GOV lock. See if the build sticker is still on the glove box door. It will list locking differential if it has one. Looking at the diff one side will have a funky little gear and a weight if it's a Gov Lock.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have 2 choices...

Replace the spider gears as described above. Check out www.reiderracing.com They sell a spider gear kit that will have all the parts you need

Your other opting is to install a Lock-Right locker and gain more traction.
    http://www.powertrax.com/locker.htm

4. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Are you miltary? If so, check with your motorpool or DRMO to see if you can get the front and rear diffs from a CUC-V.... Dana 60 front 4.56 and 14 bolt rear 4.56!!! Good stuff!
    KC7NRY DE Walt
    SubYumanII C2500

5. CA_TIM

CA_TIM Registered Member

I am not military. And I do not have the bucks to swap to danas...
    But thanks anyway.

6. CA_TIM

CA_TIM Registered Member

Thanx for the helpful links.
    I checked it today and despite the high prices for that I am really impressed.
    I am also looking at the no-Slip Traction system of Powertrax. It might be the right choice for my rig...