Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help keys locked in 2001 Accord

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 24, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anybody know any tips/tricks to get the door open without mass destruction?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Locksmith ??

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

bfh?????

i have used a radio antana to push the unlock button through the top of the door, if your carefull and use a little grease and you wont kill the weather striping.

4. MTBLAZER89

[ QUOTE ]
    Locksmith ??

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Yeah I never thought of that. I'll just go ot back and pick some $$ off the tree /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif j/k I was looking for tips/tricks though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Use a heavy wire coat hanger and stretch it out strait then bend one end into a circle about the size of a dime (think of a small eye hook) Then wrap the "eye" with some duct tape, just a couple wraps will do. Then bend the wire into a genltle "L" about an inch above the "eye". You can then gently slide the hanger in-between the door and car on the drivers side at the top rear corner. You may need to put a couple extra slight bends in the wire to get it to curve just right. You should be able to get the "eye" to hook around the back of the lock switch and open it. I used this method on my old 94 Accord. It may take some time but you should be able to get done. This is assuming you don't have a slim jim of course. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

AAA, if your an member if not the other methods will work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

My first choice would be to slim jim it. Always work on the driver's side since that side is more worn out than the passenger and will be easier to open. You can make a slim jim of sorts with a coat hanger. Just unbend it until it's straight and put about a half inch loop on the end. Slide it between the glass and door and down into the doorshell. Work it over towards the lock cylinder and try 'feeling' your way around. You should be able to hook onto something then give it a tug, hopefully you can catch the lock mechanism and pop the lock open.
    I've never had much luck with the coat hanger going to the inside of the car and unlocking that way. Slim jims and picking seem to be the easiest.

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If you get the VIN # you can have a dealer cut you a key that will just work in the door. otherwise I have a slim jim that goes inside the car, most tow companies have it as well.....

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Always work on the driver's side since that side is more worn out than the passenger and will be easier to open.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be a negative. You always want to work from the passenger side, reason being, if you damage the lock somehow, atleast when you do get your keys back, you can still get into your vehicle via the drivers door vs having to go to the passenger side, that is until you get your lock fixed.

Any time that I have ever seen a locksmith or tow truck operator use a slim jim, they always go from the passenger side for that very reason.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't know if the newer ones are still like this, but on the older models, it's possible to grab the top of the door window and bend it towards you enough that you can gain access to the lock. Now you know why they are stolen so frequently. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have used all of the methods mentioned before. Go for the passeneger side to keep from screwing up the drivers side door. I would recommend a brick on one of the smaller side windows (if equipped) and go from there.

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I do lock outs all the time. I cant remember the procedure on that style of Honda off the top of My head at the moment. I do know it's not something that You can do with a slim jim which is such an out of date tool that I have never used one. Most of the newer cars require a special tool and special wedges to open the seal between the door and the door glass. Like a few others have said you always go in from the passenger side. Check with Your insurence if You have road side service. A good Towman should be able to get in in less than a minute. If not it would still be a hell of a lot cheaper than a locksmith.

13. MTBLAZER89

OK we gave up. Can't get in around the door without ripping the seals, and can't find the lock thing in the door lock area. Can't pull the door out away from the car at all /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Calling a tow comapny /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Take pictures first.

Tow companies have the most [darn]-for-brains workers ever. They pound nylon wedges between the door and body then stick a piece of metal in there trying to unlock the door.

I'd rather ruin the lock cylinder than have some scrotum fungus of the human race put dents in my sheetmetal in a critical area.

I'd call a locksmith or go get a new key from the stealership. If it's a younger locksmith that isn't even really bonded he'll probably take the [darn]-for-brains approach so take some pictures then as well.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too bad it didnt happen at wal-mart--the one near me calls the police about 50 times a day to open doors for locked out customers,about half the time they are successful,the other 50 percent have to call in a tow company or a locksmith.One time my neighbor locked his keys in his car,and while he was trying to open it with a coathanger,a cop showed up(evidently someone saw him trying to "break in" and called the cops)--they got the door open for him,but since it was a police officer and not a person skilled at getting the door open,the weatherstripping was pretty chewed up,and he scratched the door pretty good,the owner wasnt very happy about that,but at least he got in his car.When he complained the cop told him "next time call a crook--they know how to get right in,or use a rock if you have insurance,we have better things to do"!. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    I got into my mothers caravan once when the keys got locked in it while shopping by prying the window behind the door open(it swings out a little)and used a fishing pole borrowed from the sports department to push the button on the dash to open the rear hatch.I think locks are a PITA--we should just shoot all the theives ,then we wont need keys anymore-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take pictures first.

Tow companies have the most [darn]-for-brains workers ever. They pound nylon wedges between the door and body then stick a piece of metal in there trying to unlock the door.

I'd rather ruin the lock cylinder than have some scrotum fungus of the human race put dents in my sheetmetal in a critical area.

I'd call a locksmith or go get a new key from the stealership. If it's a younger locksmith that isn't even really bonded he'll probably take the [darn]-for-brains approach so take some pictures then as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What a dick You are /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The kits are designed for using wedges. Yes there are bad companys out there but some of are professional about our jobs and how we treat other peoples property. I myself have unlocked hundreds of doors and have never once damaged a vehicle or had a single complaint. I would really like to see You handel My job. You would probably puss out the first time You had to go 300ft down a canyon to determine how to pull out a car with dead bodys in it.

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

What a dick You are /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The kits are designed for using wedges. Yes there are bad companys out there but some of are professional about our jobs and how we treat other peoples property. I myself have unlocked hundreds of doors and have never once damaged a vehicle or had a single complaint. I would really like to see You handel My job. You would probably puss out the first time You had to go 300ft down a canyon to determine how to pull out a car with dead bodys in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most competent locksmiths can get the door open through the lock. Some of the crazy double-sided laser cut ones like what VW uses are a little more work.

I don't know how anyone can think using nylon wedges is the "right" way of getting into a vehicle. Sure, it's a way to get in but that doesn't make it the right way. I've never seen a single one of those people inspect for damage nor look to see if the body gaps remained the same after they got monkeying around.

How many of those people do you think even cared what happened other than they got in their vehicle? How many do you think would even notice? 1%? 5%? 10%?

As far as people at the bottom of a canyon... I'd probably start with a cable with a hook on the end of it.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know how anyone can think using nylon wedges is the "right" way of getting into a vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I explain it to You since You don't have a clue. The wedges are only used to get enough of a gap to slip in an air bag, and when done properly there is no harm done to the sheet metal.
    [ QUOTE ]
    How many of those people do you think even cared what happened other than they got in their vehicle? How many do you think would even notice? 1%? 5%? 10%?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh I would say it's more like 75% whatch every move I make. 50% of the people tip Me for doing a quick clean job.
    [ QUOTE ]
    As far as people at the bottom of a canyon... I'd probably start with a cable with a hook on the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wrong /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It's not that simple /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif