Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP lift kit steering arm...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1badv10, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

installing a 4" lift kit on my 87 v10 pickup. having alot of trouble w/ getting the old steering arm off of where it meets the front axle.. i removed the three nuts that hold it on and removed the castle nut and the shaft that is connected to the other end.. have been soaking the snot out of it with PB blaster, and beating it w/ a lump hammer no luck... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif anyone had a similar problem, any tips or techniques to make this easier... thanks Patrick

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Keep hitting. I've taken two off, and they were both welded on with midwest rust.
    PB Blaster, a 3 pound hammer, and a lot of sweat/cussing is what worked for me.

3. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

I spent two days heating oiling and tapping on mine befor I got out the biggest hammer I have beat the crap out
    of it.Popped right off.Get a bigger hammer and show it who's boss!

4. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif ... ive spent three hours beating on this freakn thing, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif thought i was doing something wrong. also does anyone have a pic of the front brake line drops and how they are installed? plan on getting stainless soon , but would like to make stock work for now... thanks again Patrick

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Spray it down with pb blaster every couple hours for a couple days and it will pop right out. Worked for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    I also use one of them fork thingies.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I used PB blaster and a 13lb sledge and had no luck. I am impatient and wasn't about to wait around 2 or 3 days so I got out the blue wrench (torch) and burned out the cone washers. It popped right off then and didn't even hurt the threads on the studs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif ... ive spent three hours beating on this freakn thing, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif thought i was doing something wrong. also does anyone have a pic of the front brake line drops and how they are installed? plan on getting stainless soon , but would like to make stock work for now... thanks again Patrick

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a pic, but basically, the drop bracket is installed where the hardline is attached to the frame (that little extension piece). This will pull the hardline out of the frame that extra 1" or so. The brackets are junk and should be thrown in the trash. I'm running a tall (Rough Country) 4" lift, and I'm still running my stock lines. If you're planning on putting in extended brakelines in the near future, don't mess with the bracket...just don't go test on an RTI ramp until you get the new lines installed.