Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*Help! lights flickering while driving!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, Sep 4, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Last week I noticed that my headlights which would flicker a lil bit when I first started the truck are now flickering while the truck is being driven.

The headlights flicker as do the instrument panel and radio.

Anyone have a clue whats up?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a bad connection, maybe at the Battery.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check your grounds.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check all the connections.

My voltmeter would fluctuate randomly, figured the alt was on the way out. Nope, nut on the back of the alt holding the wire on was loose, fried the insulation around the stud and on the wire itself. Tightened it up and problem disappeared.

5. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, When I got home this morning I checked the connections BUT since I just got off a 12 hour shift I didnt disconnected and clean them , I will on my next day off but it looks like everything was tight, any other ideas what it could be?

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you don't by chance have like 3 -1000 watt amps on your Stereo do you /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I just fixed this same problem on my truck. one of the wires under the dash, going to the switch, was loose. just had to re-splice it, now they work fine.

8. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just fixed this same problem on my truck. one of the wires under the dash, going to the switch, was loose. just had to re-splice it, now they work fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember what color the wires were that were loose?

AND beleive me I wish I had a sterio system in that thing that could make the lights flicker like that.

9. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

it was a red power wire coming straight from the fuse box. first, you might try wiggling the switch around a little...see if that makes any difference, makes the lights flicker, or stop flickering. if it does, then you know it's something loose around the switch.

10. tweek

tweek 1/2 ton status

dre, if remeber right you have a newer nose on your truck, check all your headlight and high beam splices....or just don't drive the truck at night /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifwould probably cut down on the profil'n too /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifgood luck...let me know how you make out or stop by and i will give ya a hand... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

thx bro I just might take you up on that offer this week if I can't figure it out.

I will see what happens on wednesday and holla at you then.

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

When i did the nose swap on that truck, i used the original wiring from the 76. Since the headlamps and running lamps are on different circuits coming out of the switch, check the wires to the switch. the red one as said already. I would also check the fuse block connections. That truck has the old glass fuses in them. They like to come loose.