Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, looking to buy a K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brent96Z28, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Brent96Z28

Brent96Z28 Registered Member

Okay guys, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Blazer or Jimmy within the month, but I'm not too sure about what to get. I want something w/ a pretty new engine and I'm gonna put 38 or 40's w/ about an 8" lift. I'll probably look for a 73-87 or so. What was the first year they did Fuel Injection b/c I'm wanting one w/ a carb. And what other mile marker years were there when changes were made? And in your opinion, if I have about $8,000 to spend, should I get a truck that's already been modified or a stock truck and buy everything afterwards? Basically if I could get some advice on buying an old K5 that would be great. Thanks.

2. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Check out the specifications section on the main page if you haven't already. Lots of year specific info there.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Fuel injection started in 87.... You can get a good stocker and do a lot of work with that kind of cash...! You should check out the axles... depending on the years (if they are stock) the fronts can be either 10 bolt or a Dana 44 and the rear can be a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt. I have a 86 Silverado model so my hard top windows are sliders and I have stacked headlights and a different trim package.... little things like that vary. I find that the options for one year can change the next. Even in the same year I find someone else got something I didn't and vice versa...! Do some looking around and find out what you really want look wise then go from there... [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

you can see different models at traderonline.com and do a search for K5/Jimmys.. or in look at some in the readers rides section of some websites for ideas too. The rear floorboard is better in the 78-up with more foot room by far if you have plans for passengers in the rear seat, that is one of the best improvements to me made over older models.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

How familiar are you with Blazers/Chevy trucks? Can't help you on the particulars of the years but if you know you want to run big rubber like that then it certainly couldn't hurt buying a vehicle all ready prepped with a ff14 and Dana 60. Gotta check the frame around the steering box and rear upper shock mount. Hell, I've seen serious rock crawling buggies in the classifieds for around 10k in Cali so you better drive away with something killer for 8 grand. Oh, try and get one with a skid plate package and maybe a 4 core radiator. Maybe check the blazer 'specification' section on this site for more deatils.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Mudstud on 08/07/01 09:24 PM.</FONT></P>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just curious, why do you want a carb over fuel injection if you have the choice of either?

I think '73-75 were the full convertible tops, if you're into that.

I agree with Chevycalgal, the options are kinda wierd. I have the top silverado package on my '88, yet have solid rear windows, no sliders. I also don't have any tow-hooks, which I guess became standard on '88's halfway through the year, from other stockers I've seen. Wierd little things that they probably thought of as the truck was rolling along the assembly line....
    I don't know about where you are, but around me in NY, you could do ok with $8k. If $8k is your absolute cap, you might think more about buying a truck with some mods done already, since doing it yourself afterwards will add up pretty quick to maybe more (wierd the way the parts are worth more outside the truck)... But there is nothing like doing it yourself, and I think folks end up loving thier truck more when they do the work themselves.
    If you're set on a K5 and go with an older truck, the stock axles should be kinda durable with new gears for your tires, if you pick up one with a d44/12-bolt. If you can find a K5 that already has the 14ff in the rear and d60 in the front, jump on it!

God luck, whatever route you go!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

7. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

O O I got one for sale......

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I think BlazerBaby has one for sale...if she sold it maybe she would go away!

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5