Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Loose axleshaft!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Jan 11, 2006.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced the ujoint in my front axleshaft (driver side) and the whole shaft is loose now (after a day of wheelin). What i mean is that i can grab the shaft where the ujoint is exposed (D44 front), and wiggle the whole thing back and forth. I am thinking a snap ring came loose or broke since the whole front end on this truck is old (73). Anyone got any ideas?

The reason i ask is because I have to borrow space to work on my truck, and dont have much time to tear things apart and examine them, so if I know what I am looking for ahead of time it could save me time. Thanks guys!

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Was it tight when you replaced the u-joint? It could be the hole where your u-joint enters the shaft egged out. I would find a spare axle shaft if possible and have it ready for when you pull the old one out. If this is the case you can just slide the new one in.

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

The shaft was tight at the u joint when i replaced it. The whole shaft (inner and outer) moves around inside the wheel hub. I havent had the hub apart yet, but I cant remember what holds the outer shaft inside the hub snug... I am thinking its a snap ring.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The only thing that really locates the stub shaft is the needle bearing inside the spindle. That's probably where your problem lies.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Did you forget to put the snap rin g on the end of the axle shaft after the hub is put on?
    I bet that is your problem.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That would make it move in and out but not up and down, though.

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

I did put it back on, but like i said, the axle is old and there is a good chance the ring is either worn out or broken at this point. At least I wont have to take the spindle off to check that though. I remember putting it back together and it having a ton of play before I put that snap ring on.

8. 85mudblazin

Well its going to move without that snap ring on the end.
    The snap ring is what holds the shaft against the spindal.
    Without it you will have about 1/4" of play side to side.

9. 85mudblazin

He just said it moves side to side. Says nothing about up and down.

10. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

It pretty much moves all over the place, and slides in and out, so it must be the snap ring. I dont recall anything else that holds the shaft against the spindle except that.

Thanks for all the input! If its still light i am gonna check it when I get home.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Depending on how you're looking at it, side to side and up and down can be the same thing. :D

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second the nedle bearings inside the spindle. I don't even have grooves for a snap ring on the ends of my stub shafts, and I can't wiggle mine at all. I just walked out side and tried.

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Two things locate the stub inside the hub/spindle- The spindle bearing and the splined "slug" part of the lockout. Unless you forgto to put the lock out back in there, which I doubt, cause 4 wheel drive wouldn't work anyway, then it has to be the spindle bearing.

14. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

So anyone have a pic of where the needle bearings would be inside the spindle? Is this an autozone fix, or am I looking at visiting the dealer? The u joint has a cap missing again (same problem I had before) and all i can figure is that those needle bearings are gone. Any help is appreciated.

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The spindle bearing is inside the spindle on the inside end closest to the motor.

Spindle bearing kit at Napa is $7.49. You need two to do both sides. :)

Assuming your truck has the original front axle, this is what ya need-
    http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...Description=Spindle+Bearing+Kit+-+Front+Wheel

:wink1:

*edit*

This is a picture of the D60 spindle bearing kit...the bearing your looking for looks almost the same as the one on this picture, just alittle smaller. The D44 spindle picture doesn't show the bearing as good, so I posted this one cause it shows the bearing alittle better.
    [​IMG]

Btw....You remembered to put all 4 snap rings back on the new joint you replaced, right?

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well if you are missing a cap from the U-joint that could be part of the problem. Why are you losing caps? Are you putting the snap rings in the U-joint? Here is the best pic I could find of the bearing in question. See inside the spindle laying down. It's right there. I don't know how hard or easy it is to replace though.

[​IMG]

17. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Well, the ujoint cap was missing when I got the truck, and I had to replace the ujoint and outer. I had trouble getting the clips into the new joint, but I thought I had em in. I guess not though. I dont remember looking inside the spindle for those bearings when I had it apart, so I guess I will check it out when I have it apart *again* this weekend. Man, its a pain in the butt when you have to drive it to a friends house just to work on it.

Thanks again for all the help.

18. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Well, turns out the "spindle bearing" that was in there was hardly a bearing at all... The only thing that was left was the outer race. No needles, no nothing.... :eek1:

So I replaced the u joint (getting to be a pro at that) and removed that race, and pressed in a new spindle bearing. got it all back together and no problems. Everything is nice and tight now, no noises.

Thanks to all who contributed. Makes a CK5 membership worth its weight in eGold. :bow: Now off to my carb upgrades!

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Damn, I'm good. :D

20. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

:bow: