Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help loss of power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dave'90K5, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

First of all I'm new to the foram and very happy to have found this site!

Can anyone help me figure this out?

My K5 has a 350 sitting behind a stock drivetrain and axles. 3.73 gears.

The truck has no power. I underderstand that the 35's will rob tons on power from my stock set up but I don't even have a passing gear. It's like there is something wrong with the trans kick down? Is this true or is the tires my problem? Thanks!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

35's and 3.73's and a OD tranny, the 35's are the power robbing issue with that gear ratio for the OD tranny.

3. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

What do you reccomend? 4.10's or

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

5. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

So by this chart I need 4.56's

Do you think this will bring my passing gear back.. I'm just concerned cause I don't have much wheel speed when I wheelin in mud. I don't want to get stuck cause of the lack of wheel speed....

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If this is mostly a DD, then IMO I'd go with the 4.56's or 4.88's. But if this is mostly a wheeler and will not see a lot of street use, I'd go with 5.13's.

7. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Thanks for your help. This is just a trail rig my dad and I have. I trying to iron out some of the bugs in our build. Other then the loss in power from the 3.73 gears and 35's do you think there is any harm to the Trans if we wheel it as is for a bit? until we get the $ to change the gears

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just wouldn't wheel it in the OD gear

9. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Thanks for the info - Muddy

If anyone else has any input I'm all ears?

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i think they hit the info pretty accurately. when wheelin...unless you really need the wheelspin i would probably stay in low when possible. it really takes the strain off of your transmission. you said it was a trail rig, but if it ever sees highway use i would recommend a tranny oil cooler.

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Like matt says put it in low. Also it wouldn't hurt to run some seafoam through, or pull the intake. You would be surprised on how much carbon and be hiding under there. I noticed a huge difference after cleaning all the carbon out.

12. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

i got a 700 r-4 transmission 3.73 and 35's and wheel spin is no problem for me just ask my freinds who try to drive behind me on a muddy road. i cover there whole front end to the point they drive blidnly lmfao whicg of course right now my truck sits broke in the driveway with broken spider gear teeth soo... yea

13. Dave'90K5

Dave'90K5 Guest

Do you think it could be my trans kick down is out of wack? I will try the 4 low thing... I don't realy think it makes much dif. cause in 2 wheel is just puts along... engine runs well and sounds like it is ready to race in neutral but put it in gear get those tires rolling and it falls short of power. not sure what to think?

Thanks for your input!

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you have absolutely no passing gear ie in 3rd and you floor it and it doesn't kick down into 2 its out of wack. Or your tranny is screwed.